Author Topic: MM Phono Stage  (Read 9938 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: MM Phono Stage
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
Just use a biggish transformer.  About 25VA, personally feel for op amp phono the sweet spot of size price performance is probably at 50VA.even though 5VA is technically theoretically totally adequate. 

Just replace these diodes with soft recovery types (which I have preferred to Schottky but both are way better than 1n400x. )

If I were going through all the trouble I would probably push and use full wave rectification though with a transformer with centre tap. 
I would feel better about it even though many including ProJect get away with it. 

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline fredeb

« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »
Just use a biggish transformer.  About 25VA, personally feel for op amp phono the sweet spot of size price performance is probably at 50VA.even though 5VA is technically theoretically totally adequate. 

Just replace these diodes with soft recovery types (which I have preferred to Schottky but both are way better than 1n400x. )

If I were going through all the trouble I would probably push and use full wave rectification though with a transformer with centre tap. 
I would feel better about it even though many including ProJect get away with it. 

Thank you G - that seems simple enough to implement .

This one a good choice ? https://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=14M2179

I wonder what the 2 diodes at the output are for ? An LED ?
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline ajscheid

« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
Hi,
So I finally also received my Mantech stuff:

Looking forward to the build!!!

Offline fredeb

« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »
It is rather exciting , now to sit out the wait for the pcb's .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »
It is rather exciting , now to sit out the wait for the pcb's .

Me three! I know it will be worth the wait.
(All our components are ready and waiting, too).  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
I will follow up wrt progress on the boards today and give feedback.
The only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2019, 10:32:33 AM »

If they are being made in Cape Town, I can pop out and pick them up when they are ready.  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline ajscheid

« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »

Any news yet?

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2019, 11:09:29 PM »
I have been told that the boards will be done by Wednesday next week.
The only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions

Offline fredeb

« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2019, 12:36:47 AM »
I have been told that the boards will be done by Wednesday next week.

Woohoo !  :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo:  :)
Jan Smuts

Offline ajscheid

« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2019, 07:51:21 AM »
Great

Offline GECO

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2019, 11:23:19 PM »
If you don't mind me sharing.

mm and mc
Mm is the board I am offering (will order soon) together with the 6 loading option mc with three gain options and separate power transformers. Each stage has its own power supply

Offline fredeb

« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
If you don't mind me sharing.

mm and mc
Mm is the board I am offering (will order soon) together with the 6 loading option mc with three gain options and separate power transformers. Each stage has its own power supply

Thank you for sharing Geco ! I'm quite excited to build both this and the Muffsy and compare the two .  :thumbs:
Jan Smuts

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »
/\/\/\ That is what I am doing too!  :thumbs:

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2019, 04:36:09 PM »
Bought 100 little zip lock bags, and spend some time separating and sorting the Muffsy components for the 4 CPT builders I have ordered for.
Getting excited!

No news on the PC Boards, @Cross_over?