Author Topic: MM Phono Stage  (Read 2840 times)

Offline ajscheid

Re: MM Phono Stage
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
FYI - Communica has these bits in stock for transformer , powerplug and socket , it says DC plug/socket but will be fine for 16VAC . Also an easier hole make in aluminium backplate if you dont have a milling machine at home .  ;D

That power supply is waaaaaaaay to big for my taste!! As per muffsy you need a minimum of 0.1A to be delivered; So that would be at 18V  1.8VA!!!!!
I think I will order one in China together with the 0905 enclosure and be set. Aliexpress has these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33015635712.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.31b83c00JFHk8I&mp=1; 18V AC out with 9VA. That should be sufficient.

Online fredeb

« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:46 PM »
I like over-provisioning  ;D , and can't afford to spend money on enclosures ATM , so I'm just going to build it into a lunchbox , or Chinashop wooden treasure box .  ;D
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »
The M-PP3 components have arrived! This is for 5 Cape Town builds. M-PSU components are on their way...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25:07 AM »
I've tested some phono builds with X2 9V batteries in series, can be used long term as well, not sure how many hours you'll get from a pair?
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline ajscheid

« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
So finally I ordered all my stuff. I went with the 0905 housing and the above power supply I posted earlier; I like neat... :pleasant:

So total cost including all shipping cost then come to:

Mantech order: R592,19 (includes all back panel parts except the back panel itself)
Aliexpress order: $25 equals R340,00
PCB's from Dirk: 440,00 inlcuding shipping.

That's a total of around R1380,00 and approximately half of what an ordered kit at muffsy would have been (PSU factored in).

Looking soooo forward to built this little gem.  :Whoohoo:

Online fredeb

« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
The M-PP3 components have arrived! This is for 5 Cape Town builds. M-PSU components are on their way...

Woo-hoo ! Now to wait for manufacturers to finish the PCB's , round about the end of the month I guess .

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:56:39 AM by fredeb »
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2019, 04:53:52 PM »
I stopped working early today, and came home at 3pm to start scratching through my "old parts" box
for an 18VAC transformer for my Muffsy PSU build.

I found two: one is the size of a half-brick, and weighs a ton, and one is about the size of a matchbox (just more square).
The small one has only one output, and it measures 18.4VAC.
The large one has selectable mains input, 220VAC and 250VAC. I measured my mains today, and it is 240.3 VAC.
I set the input to 250 VAC, and measure 17.98 VAC on one set of the secondary windings (there are 3 others).

My question: which one should I use, and why?  :thinking:  :teach:

(I don't mind a big transformer, in a different box, standing on the floor and feeding the Muffsy PSU, if there is any benefit to that.)
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online fredeb

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
I'd go for the bigger one - power to spare , on tap can never be disregarded . 

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jan Smuts

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »
This one is fine, and allows a margin of safety.

>> I set the input to 250 VAC, and measure 17.98 VAC on one set of the secondary windings

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Online fredeb

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »
BTW - there's a dingey little shop close to me that sells secondhand lp's . I found this faux leather wooden box there . This will be tbe box ;) .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jan Smuts

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
With a traditional linear supply the bigger transformer tends to sound better and gutsier.  Soft recovery rectifier diodes are also worth using. 
The onslaught of why this canít make a difference will be in posts to follow soon but at least you are aware of the option now and you can decide to try it or not. 

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »

With a traditional linear supply the bigger transformer tends to sound better and gutsier.  Soft recovery rectifier diodes are also worth using. 
The onslaught of why this canít make a difference will be in posts to follow soon but at least you are aware of the option now and you can decide to try it or not. 

+100 on both.
The very best diodes here would be schottky. Very fast, zero turn-on noise so no need to silence the switch-on overshot with small caps. No caps, no stray LC resonances. The simpler, the better.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Prince

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2019, 10:26:01 PM »
 :cool:

Phono Stage BOM for all the Cape Town Builders:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VPLUlHavLgPNKaZPIcf9QYeuuhuut3b-sSbkTtDzQCo/edit?usp=sharing

-I did this to check what I already have in stock.

"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Online Ampdog

« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2019, 06:06:58 AM »
Aqualung,

I noticed this thread only now; did not read through the whole contents (see time - still going to bed, not up early!). So not sure whether someone commented on the fact that you also have a Quad 22 (phono stage).

Thus as a kind of aside, the performance of the single EF86 stage used for that can be noticably enhanced by replacing with a double triode - say ECC88 or such or one of many triode-pentodes available. This can include a.o. a sharp low cut-off feature to eliminate stuff below say 30 Hz or however low you might prefer (there is really not a whole lot below 30 Hz on records, while quite some rubbish might lurk. Such a feature is standard on all my R!AA stage designs).  Not to expound now, just mentioning for whoever might be interested. There are enough internal tie-points to neatly accommodate a somewhat more complex circuit.

As said: Just by the way.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Online fredeb

« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »

+100 on both.
The very best diodes here would be schottky. Very fast, zero turn-on noise so no need to silence the switch-on overshot with small caps. No caps, no stray LC resonances. The simpler, the better.

Thanks for the advice guys ! I think that we ( I am at least ) , are first going to try the Muffsy PSU , which is part of the build . Perhaps we can try an alternate supply , can either of you make up a hand drawn schematic , or find a simile on the web ?

Aqualung,

I noticed this thread only now; did not read through the whole contents (see time - still going to bed, not up early!). So not sure whether someone commented on the fact that you also have a Quad 22 (phono stage).

Thus as a kind of aside, the performance of the single EF86 stage used for that can be noticably enhanced by replacing with a double triode - say ECC88 or such or one of many triode-pentodes available. This can include a.o. a sharp low cut-off feature to eliminate stuff below say 30 Hz or however low you might prefer (there is really not a whole lot below 30 Hz on records, while quite some rubbish might lurk. Such a feature is standard on all my R!AA stage designs).  Not to expound now, just mentioning for whoever might be interested. There are enough internal tie-points to neatly accommodate a somewhat more complex circuit.

As said: Just by the way.

Are you refering to me perhaps @Ampdog ? I'm interested (amd have Quad 22 pre ) , if you wish to expound ?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:59:04 AM by fredeb »
Jan Smuts