Author Topic: Comprehensive Digital Cable Shootout  (Read 4765 times)

Offline mariusc

Re: Comprehensive Digital Cable Shootout
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
The crucial question of course is whether he tested original cables from the original manufacturer, or fake ones. I have a large number of fake cables that I am evaluating at the moment (e.g. Siltech Emperor gold, Nordost Odin 2, Furutech NCF, and many others. The metallurgy is shockingly bad, some of them sold as silver or gold cables, but in reality the worst grade copper with tin plating.

Offline shadow.clone

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 03:28:23 PM »
The crucial question of course is whether he tested original cables from the original manufacturer, or fake ones. I have a large number of fake cables that I am evaluating at the moment (e.g. Siltech Emperor gold, Nordost Odin 2, Furutech NCF, and many others. The metallurgy is shockingly bad, some of them sold as silver or gold cables, but in reality the worst grade copper with tin plating.

There really is a whole lot wrong with this experiment, especially since they are digital cables. One could argue that it was never meant to be scientific or comprehensive, but then I wonder what was the purpose in the first place?

Again, (digital) cables can make a difference. Anyone that has worked with high-speed digital circuits and comms protocols will know this. I just wonder if boutique cable manufacturers can even produce cables that meet the HDMI/USB standards. Or better yet, what sort of marketing blurbs they can spin for regular, dressed-up cables that simply meet standard specs.

Offline Katji

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
There really is a whole lot wrong with this experiment, especially since they are digital cables. One could argue that it was never meant to be scientific or comprehensive, but then I wonder what was the purpose in the first place?

Part of the internet marketing/context. ...Internet spreads it.  Like other pseudo-science, and like conspiracy theories re vaccines and "chem trails."

Offline shadow.clone

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
Part of the internet marketing/context. ...Internet spreads it.  Like other pseudo-science, and like conspiracy theories re vaccines and "chem trails."

I agree and this hits the nail on the head for me as it sometimes strikes me as a patient telling a doctor that they are wrong and citing internet sources (i.e. everything besides published papers in respected journals) and their own experiences as evidence.

I've seen end-users come up with the weirdest explanations for strange results in hardware/software systems. Although they were sometimes right, their explanations of the observed results were usually far fetched because those systems were complete black boxes to them. I think the same occurs with some (well-intentioned) audio reviews as they often have poor controls/methodology.

Offline Katji

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »
:D hahahah Been there done that, 12+ years in MIS/BI at large retail corporate.

And, when I had Lymphoma, friend at office telling me to drink peroxide rather than chemotherapy.  :-s  :nutter: