Author Topic: Apple TV As media player  (Read 4594 times)

Offline xplicit

Re: Apple TV As media player
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
You can.....but the benefits of a properly managed media DB/Library with little or no effort straight out of the box, far outweighs  the benefit of just pointing a player at a network folder location.

IMO

Plex and Tidal also work very well together.  You can end up with movie lib, music lib and streaming service in one
place/app

I think the Infuse management is pretty good.  Fetches all metadata, organises folders/library, syncs across all clients, manages subtitles etc.

Good to hear about Tidal integration with Plex, I may revisit that setup.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 12:44:43 AM »
I tried Plex and infuse via Apple TV  and both of them couldnít  output atmos. I tried all the settings unsuccessfully and upon reading it looks like itís a hardware issue with Apple not allowing atmos on 3rd party files. Via Kodi Iím able to playback atmos but my graphics card only outputs up to 1080 so for now I canít get UHD + atmos but only HD + Atmos
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Optoma UHD40 projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Skookum

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 08:45:38 PM »
I'm not sure about ATMOS, have you considered looking at a Raspberry Pi 4? The latest version packs a punch.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 10:11:53 PM »
I'm not sure about ATMOS, have you considered looking at a Raspberry Pi 4? The latest version packs a punch.

Iíll get a 4K graphics card and connect microserver directly to avr
Marantz AV7705|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Optoma UHD40 projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
I didn't realise that neither Infuse or Plex would not run Atmos or 4K from your server, I only "stream" 4K & atmos content off netflix/amazon etc, as I don't have any 4K/atmos content sitting on my server.
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline naughty

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Iíll get a 4K graphics card and connect microserver directly to avr

there doesnt seem to be such a thing for a microserver - you can get cards that will give you a 4k desktop but for proper ultraHD with HDR and Atmos playback it seems you need a card with more than 3GB of ram - and from Nvidia it seems the minimum card required is a 1050 with 3GB+ of ram .... i couldn't find one in low profile - besides you wont get one with a low enough power draw for the microservers 150w power supply

you might need to replace the microserver with a full size HTPC which can accept a full size graphics card to do all the UltraHD stuff because all the cards that fit into a microserver which are low profile mainly only work up to full HD

in Kshahs G8 microserver he tried a 1030 and it gets the desktop at 4k resolution but then it starts to give problems when playing movies - i cannot remember the exact details but i remember trying to read up on the issue when it happened and according to whatever i read on the internet it seemed that you needed a GT1050 with 3GB+ ram so please check up on this before just buying a card on the presumption that because it gives you a 4k resolution desktop that it will play ultraHD movies or H265 HEVC files

to me the easier option is to look at alternative media players to the Apple TV like a Mibox S which will do the ultraHD and possibly Atmos (Mibox S is available for R1500 or thereabouts .... Govan Mani are doing it for R1299) ... bu the Mi Box has its own drawbacks ie it only transmits via Wi-Fi and doesn't allow for ethernet connectivity  :nfi: so there currently doesn't seem to be a good solution where you can win all the way

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

to me the easier option is to look at alternative media players to the Apple TV like a Mibox S which will do the ultraHD and possibly Atmos (Mibox S is available for R1500 or thereabouts .... Govan Mani are doing it for R1299) ... bu the Mi Box has its own drawbacks ie it only transmits via Wi-Fi and doesn't allow for ethernet connectivity  :nfi: so there currently doesn't seem to be a good solution where you can win all the way

Mibox S wont do atmos , All the cheap android players wont do atmos you need nvidia sheild
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Online sam_i_am

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
there doesnt seem to be such a thing for a microserver - you can get cards that will give you a 4k desktop but for proper ultraHD with HDR and Atmos playback it seems you need a card with more than 3GB of ram - and from Nvidia it seems the minimum card required is a 1050 with 3GB+ of ram .... i couldn't find one in low profile - besides you wont get one with a low enough power draw for the microservers 150w power supply

you might need to replace the microserver with a full size HTPC which can accept a full size graphics card to do all the UltraHD stuff because all the cards that fit into a microserver which are low profile mainly only work up to full HD

in Kshahs G8 microserver he tried a 1030 and it gets the desktop at 4k resolution but then it starts to give problems when playing movies - i cannot remember the exact details but i remember trying to read up on the issue when it happened and according to whatever i read on the internet it seemed that you needed a GT1050 with 3GB+ ram so please check up on this before just buying a card on the presumption that because it gives you a 4k resolution desktop that it will play ultraHD movies or H265 HEVC files

Shield all the way. Much faster than a mibox, better features (AAC to multichannel LPCM, Ethernet, 2x USB etc)

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
Shield all the way. Much faster than a mibox, better features (AAC to multichannel LPCM, Ethernet, 2x USB etc)

I like the Apple TV and mostly because my and everyone around meís mobiles  and tablets are Apple. Itís a great device but I currently experienced limitations in my ecosystem (microserver and Apple TV) couldnít meet my full needs. Microserver doesnít stream 4K but plays atmos. Apple TV plays iTunes 4K but it doesnít play my microserver 4K movies in atmos. I decided to go for Shield bcs it integrates all my needs and opens up access to more things than Apple TV. Other than that Apple TV is a great device if u do everything within the Apple ecosystem

Offline wolfandy

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »
I loved my AppleTV in combination with my Plex server - until it died on me one day while in standby. Apple repair center just told me that it wouldn't boot anymore (great new insight...) and that it would need to be replaced. As it was 14 months old at that time, Apple refused to replace it under warranty. Quote from Apple repair center for replacement unit was higher than the price at my local iStore...

After that experience I switched to Amazon FireTV (at about 1/3 of the cost of an AppleTV) and have been happy with it for the past 2 years (and still going strong)

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2019, 05:33:05 PM »
I loved my AppleTV in combination with my Plex server - until it died on me one day while in standby. Apple repair center just told me that it wouldn't boot anymore (great new insight...) and that it would need to be replaced. As it was 14 months old at that time, Apple refused to replace it under warranty. Quote from Apple repair center for replacement unit was higher than the price at my local iStore...

After that experience I switched to Amazon FireTV (at about 1/3 of the cost of an AppleTV) and have been happy with it for the past 2 years (and still going strong)

Howís the Rotel? Do u still have it?