STD Turntable

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desj

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I need some help, guidance and/or opinions. I have come across a STD turntable that I am thinking of making an offer on. At this stage I am not sure whether it is a S, D or M. It has a Keith Monks arm (with the mercury baths). It actually seems to have two arms. The arms are off the turntable and are lying loose. I did not look to see what cartridge is fitted (not very clever). I understand that it was disassembled (the arm taken off) because the needle was damaged.  The owner is the original owner. I do know that prior to the needle being damaged the turntable was working 100%. Apart from the damaged needle and being disassembled the turntable seems to be in excellent condition with no scratches/marks. It arm has been off for about four years now. Some question that I have: Was this turntable any good? What is the Keith Monks arm like? What cartridge would suit this turntable? Can one buy mercury to fill the mercury baths (a very small amount)? What would be a fair price for the turntable? I know that many of the questions (based on the sketchy information given above) are much like asking how long is a piece of string but I am only looking for some opinions and/or guidance on whether I should pursue this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.