Author Topic: Mars 5-10 stereo - update  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Qualityten

Re: Mars 5-10 stereo - update
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 08:49:18 PM »
Another dof question: is the varnish applied externally, or is the whole transformer dipped?

Offline fredeb

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2019, 12:19:57 AM »
Another dof question: is the varnish applied externally, or is the whole transformer dipped?

If I recall correctly , Karel dips the entire transformer in varnish and then hangs it out to dry .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »
If I may barge/chirp in with my way of applying varnish:

I have the privilege of access to a vacuum pot, courtesy of another member. Thus I am capable of vacuum impregnation - enough suitable varnish to cover the transformer (plus some; some varnish is going to be 'sucked' into the windings!)

Where not available, one can leave the transformer in enough varnish overnight, or perhaps better, apply lavishly with a brush on both ends of the winding. This can be time consuming; don't do both sides simultaneously or the bottom side varnish will flow out all over the show.  Again one leaves until varnish on a particular side has at least gelled. One may also heat up the transformer (BEFORE application!) to drive out some air plus causing the varnish to gel quicker. But disadvantage: If gelling rapidly less varnish will flow in/impregnate.

So in absence of a vacuuming facility I would take the time-consuming route (which I did in the past) of applying varnish, 'thrusting' into layers (if layer=-wound, which I still prefer) with a fairly stiff brush, leaving varnish side up for gravitational ingress, varnish some more, etc. until there is fair certainty that penetration was maximal or has gelled, then flip side etc. etc.  Patience - - but a reasonable degree of penetration can be reached by taking time.

This my way-of-doing-things.  Karel?
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline El Sid

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »

Back off dude! I ask the dof questions around here....