Author Topic: NAD or Naim  (Read 951 times)

Offline Jaxxon

NAD or Naim
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
I am contemplating treating my self to a streaming amp.

My choice has boiled down to either the NAD M10, or the Naim atom.

I am playing through Focal Utopia Diablo speakers, and want to have an analogue input for my T/T.

Any thoughts on which would be the best choice?

Jaxx

Online naks

Re: NAD or Naim
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »
I'm in the same situation - deciding on an all-in-one streaming amp for our second house.

Well, the M10 is cheaper, but from reviews it seems the Naim is just better quality - both in build and output.

OTOH, the NAD has BluOS, so much easier to have a wireless & multiroom setup.

https://youtu.be/mrNba10k3XQ

https://youtu.be/00GRnwGkE-U

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub

Offline scrarfussi

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
Naim For SQ
Nad for functionality
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Online naks

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »
or if you're really angry with your money, there's the Auralic Aries G2 (or G1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNoS3Qr16FU
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNba10k3XQ

Jaxxon, John Darko recently reviewed the NAD and compared it directly to the Naim. He is a Brit also, so maybe you will believe his review  :giggle:

I've listened to the Naim Unity before. It is nice but I felt it lacked it a bit of bass control when driving the B&W 703 S2. I also heard the Cyrus Lyric Stealth https://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/lyric-09/review driving a big set of Sonus Faber Amati Futuras and I was relatively impressed by its performance for what it is. 

The advantage you have with the NAD is that it includes DIRAC and BluOS. So compared to both the NAIM and Cyrus I think it is a better "streamer" feature wise.

I have my opinion in terms of what you need combined amp/streamer wise. I shall keep it to myself but as a hint check out UltraSound's Black Friday deals.

Online fredeb

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:50:21 PM »
The NAD M10's are sporting 100wpc Hypex modules , which should not be scoffed at in terms of SQ . I reckon that the NAD powering high efficiency speakers would be fantastic .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Online kamikazi

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 09:01:38 PM »
The NAD M10's are sporting 100wpc Hypex modules , which should not be scoffed at in terms of SQ . I reckon that the NAD powering high efficiency speakers would be fantastic .

Unless the M10 uses the Hypex NC based modules I wouldn't go that route and those start with the NC250 which is 130W @ 8ohm. The OEM UCD modules aren't that great in my experience.

Offline Jaxxon

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.

I have an opportunity to test the Naim at home, so I will let you know how it performs.

Rgds

Jaxx

Offline Jaxxon

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
Tested the Naim and NAD at home, and the NAD was the better for my setup.

Clearer and more features than the Naim.

My Bluesound node 2 is now up for sale.

Jaxx

Online fredeb

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 06:48:53 PM »

Jaxx
Thanks for keeping us updated Jaxxon , good to know you're sorted . What speakers are you using with the NAD ?
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Jaxxon

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
I am using Focal Utopia Diablo, and also two SVS subs.

Superb sound and bass to hit your stomach!

Jaxx

Online fredeb

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

Jaxx

Excellent speakers ! I'm sure the SQ must be ridiculously good . Reading up on the Focal Utopia Diablo , it appears that they are relatively easy to drive , incl. the fact that you have the 2x SVS subs the NAD's amps are probably just cruising above idle .  :)
Jan Smuts

Offline Jaxxon

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
The NAD is quite strange really, the volume doesn't seem to come over loud until you get to about 70%, then it bursts out of its hiding place and hits you in the ears!   :Whoohoo:

Gets louder than I feel comfortable with, but never distorts.

Jaxx

Offline georgev

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »

Jaxx

Those are really special speakers.
Surprised that you need subs with them for they got their name,  "diablo", for their bass response.
That beryllium6 tweeter is special.
Had the Micro Utopia Be.
Needed a sub with it.

Offline bearenzo

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 06:10:57 AM »

Jaxx

Iím using Naim Nait 1/3/5 amps, they need time to warm up and sound great, not few hours , not even days.
My experience is their minimum warm up times is 1 week.

You didnít really hear their potential if you only switch it on for few hours.