Author Topic: Tell me whether SMF is a road I want to go down  (Read 5007 times)

Offline d0dja

Tell me whether SMF is a road I want to go down
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:15:25 AM »
Prob the wrong topic, but can't find one better.... to the mods on this forum, is SMF a good idea? I want to set up a forum for an IOT industry group, partly a place to chart, partly a place to swap information on technical and  business issues.

Was thinking of firing up a free tier EC2 instance with a LAMP stack and SMF. A hiding to nothing? A world of pain? Better options?

Offline Family_Dog

Re: Tell me whether SMF is a road I want to go down
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »
It has its niggles but then so do most other platforms. It is at least supported, so might be well worth pursuing.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline d0dja

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:05:27 PM »
Well I pulled the trigger and set it up, now locking down some of the more whimsical features to make it more serious looking. Starting with a dark theme :)

Offline Cowboy

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 03:32:53 PM »
I started on SMF but I wouldn't ever use it again. Once you use real software this stuff seems primitive. Kind of like using Windows 3.1 compared to MacOS.

Offline d0dja

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »
Ok... so if not smf what would you suggest?

Offline Cowboy

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 06:16:32 AM »
I use Invision Community. It will cost you money, but if you want the best you have to pay for it. Check out their site here https://invisioncommunity.com/. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Offline Cowboy

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 06:18:49 AM »
Looking back at your original post and your intended use, to be honest you’d be a lot better off setting up something like Buddypress on a Wordpress website.

Offline rorz0r

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 07:15:52 AM »
I've started two reasonably sized forums, originally on vBulletin 3. They basically managed to alienate their whole community and Invision has basically caught up and possibly even surpassed them. Both forums have successfully been switched to Invision and besides some super custom vB stuff there's nothing "missing".

Imo it's well worth paying for "full fat" forum software. It's really an uphill battle trying to grow your community when your forum software doesn't work like every other forum out there, so worth sticking to the "big" ones, which is basically vBulletin and Invision.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline d0dja

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 09:39:44 AM »
Right. So $45-100 per month hosted in invision. The community is quite techie, and it's a volunteer organisation, so not too much of a prob if it's a wee bit rough (even a good thing, members will feel like their dues are being spent frugally).

But BuddyPress may be a good option... it has a lot of self-service user/group/profile stuff that would be very useful.

Offline Cowboy

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:17 AM »
I host my Invision installation on a private server. Invision are charging crazy prices for their hosted solution. It would be great to be able to just leave all the configs and server management things up to them, but the recent releases of the software have been pretty tight and since ver 4.3 things have been very easy to administer, even if you're not a serious tech person. They also have a good community support.

The initial licenses are a bit pricy if you buy everything, but if you don't need the gallery or various other elements then it's not so bad. Renewing for support isn't that expensive either and it's only every 6 months or so. I have often let the support license lapse until I had to do major upgrades then paid the fee and got support.

I also looked at vBulletin when I was migrating from SMF to Invision, but they don't really have a comparative solution quite in the same league. Invision will also help you migrate from just about any platform to them. Best move, imo.