Author Topic: Comparison of Audyssey MultEQ XT (Denon X1400H) and MultEQ XT32 (Denon X3400H)  (Read 1231 times)

Offline scrarfussi

suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline arvie

Very interesting!  Glad to know that there are real differences between all the hocus pocus of Audyssey  :giggle:

I turned off Audyssey on my Marantz & used the Graphic EQ instead for stereo listening & I was blown away by the bass from my Polks.

Not sure why the bass is so dulled down when Audyssey is used & can I boost the "63Hz" channel band or alter the Audyssey curve myself?

Offline KenMasters

Very interesting!  Glad to know that there are real differences between all the hocus pocus of Audyssey  :giggle:

I turned off Audyssey on my Marantz & used the Graphic EQ instead for stereo listening & I was blown away by the bass from my Polks.

Not sure why the bass is so dulled down when Audyssey is used & can I boost the "63Hz" channel band or alter the Audyssey curve myself?

Chances are there's a bit of room gain going on and Audyssey is correcting for it. On newer AVRs you can tweak the curve with the MultiEQ Editor but you can't boost a specific frequency. A separate subwoofer would give you more control over how much bass you're getting (though personally I prefer my bass more neutral).

Offline arvie

Thanks Ken.  Forgot to mention that my TV/lounge room has the worst acoustics. Open plan with two solid walls and then the other two sides have aluminium glass stacking doors. 

Yeah, I hear you on the separate subwoofer.  I do have one but been contemplating getting a second sub to fill out the dead zones.

Offline scrarfussi

I would say get a 2nd sub to fill up the room more
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline Quad Pipe

Chances are there's a bit of room gain going on and Audyssey is correcting for it. On newer AVRs you can tweak the curve with the MultiEQ Editor but you can't boost a specific frequency. A separate subwoofer would give you more control over how much bass you're getting (though personally I prefer my bass more neutral).

So I have a Denon X3400 that I manually calibrated some time ago. I was generally unhappy with the results but left it. Last week I decided to re-perform an Audyssey calibration. I'm quite happy with the results except that it has dumbed down the bass something terrible and I'm not terribly sure how to fix it. I have further manually adjusted levels per input source to adjust for personal taste.

In the manual, mention was made about how further tweaking can be done via the Audydssey MultiEQ editor app. I found it in the app store and it looks like it has quite a comprehensive set of editing options. I just don't feel like paying R300 for a frikking app that I'm not even sure I'll get the full benefit out of.

Offline KenMasters

So I have a Denon X3400 that I manually calibrated some time ago. I was generally unhappy with the results but left it. Last week I decided to re-perform an Audyssey calibration. I'm quite happy with the results except that it has dumbed down the bass something terrible and I'm not terribly sure how to fix it.

Turn the sub up?

Offline Quad Pipe

Turn the sub up?

Ja. I referenced it to 75db's on the sub using an app and then adjusted further on the amp. Sounding okay now.