Poll

One sales section?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Classified section segregation - Good or Bad policy?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline naughty

Re: Classified section segregation - Good or Bad policy?
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2019, 02:30:50 AM »
Because Stan. CC approached this Scientifically and he ran a "Steekproef"

So he "proef" us and Admin now "Steek" us :BWAHAHAH:

all i can say about this is that IMHO he ran the question as an informal enquiry - he did not promise that the vote would definitely result in a change of how things are done  :nfi: .... or at any rate i did not see any such promise made  :nfi:

Offline Stanp

« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2019, 05:33:34 AM »
^^^
The Boss asked us a question: "
Should this be abolished and all sales be put in one section? "
We gave him an answer. To me he was attempting democracy; asking us what we wish to do.
But he did there after state that the decision was not his to make, needs the rest of the team to agree

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Classified section segregation - Good or Bad policy?
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2019, 07:36:54 AM »
okay so then maybe the terms are mixed up but i would prefer to know easily who the "formal traders" are ie someone who makes their living selling stuff vs the "informal traders"some guy selling an amp or CD player or even turntable that he had for his own use ..... and the easiest way to know that is to have it in plain sight by differentiating who is exactly what via the section he posts in - then i don't have to dig in profiles and try to do more groundwork to know who exactly i'm buying from or selling to

I donít get it. 

Nor the general hostility to folks known to sell gear for gain.  Most are no less enthusiast than other members.  Those in the AV industry that run their game without enthusiasm for the hobby donít actually seem to participate here. 

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:42:07 AM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline naughty

« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »
I donít get it. 

Nor the general hostility to folks known to sell gear for gain.  Most are no less enthusiast than other members.  Those in the AV industry that run their game without enthusiasm for the hobby donít actually seem to participate here. .

you are getting it wrong - there is no hostility at all to anyone intended in any of my posts .... i can't speak for anyone else ..... what i am saying though is that there is a difference between me selling a couple of items that i tried out and had a compulsion to upgrade or change vs me trying to make a living selling stuff .... there is a difference there and it needs to be clear

once again this should be an advantage to the commercial entities because as i have observed earlier buying new and from a shop or online shop adds warranty to the table - this is a huge plus in my books because it adds value to buying from the dealer - means i would rather buy from a dealer new than from a second hand seller unless its a bargain price and its a person trustworthy enough who will not try to deliberately sell broken stuff then i would be tempted by a second hand item but generally dealers who do take trade-ins would be more meticulous about the second hand goods that they sell too ie fix whatever's broken before selling it or maybe servicing the item and giving it a once over to make sure that its all working so that the buyer gets his moneys worth

but i want it to be super easy to make this differentiation - especially when it comes to traded in goods ie if its all in one section then is the dealer selling that second hand item like the rest of us with no warranty and no due diligence to make sure its working etc - or is he selling it with limited warranty and he has checked it out or serviced it and because he is generally wanting to get his trade-in value back so possibly might come in at higher pricing than a private seller so what benefit do i get out of it ..... all of these things make the potential risk for deals going south all the more easy - with lots of potential arguments and recriminations etc and IMHO if the seller is going to profit he has to do his diligence toward ensuring that the item is fully working and provide a small limited warranty to that aim ie he is selling for a profit margin on here

i want to be able to say that all these things are clear to me before i commit to a purchase .... so no hostility whatsoever intended toward anyone, least of all the dealers/commercial members who do sell for a profit - and no objection to anyone making a profit but that profit has to come with some benefit to the buyer too ie there should be no "free lunches" here if you pardon the cliche

with the private sellers it is understood that most sales are going to be voetstoets .... i mean if i sell something and it breaks within 6 months i have no idea what the buyer did with it so there is nothing i can really do about it - nor do i have the expertise or skills required to give it the once over checks (internally) before i sell it .... but guys selling on for profit have to have some type of short term warranty implied on it ..... and in these instances most private buyers are selling for a lot less than they purchased the item for ..... i mean no-one can seriously imply that someone like Mervin for example is selling for a profit

at the end of the day there are differences in the format of those two various types of sales and the differentiation as it currently stands does manage to effectively demonstrate those without you having to think very long and hard and potentially lose a sale or purchase you were intending to make AND as has been pointed out the dealers/traders are not really variables because you will know where they can be found but with private buyers and sellers it is definitely obviously higher risk unless they are well known figures in the community

now you lump it all in one - i can't ask the buyer "hey are you selling for profit?" - because the guy would be bonkers to reply in the affirmative to this and hence then i have to try and figure all this out with almost no clue about any of this just from a guys title ..... that to me is a lose/lose situation for everyone  :nfi:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Classified section segregation - Good or Bad policy?
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2019, 08:29:55 AM »
you are getting it wrong - there is no hostility at all to anyone intended in any of my posts .... i can't speak for anyone else ..... what i am saying though is that there is a difference between me selling a couple of items that i tried out and had a compulsion to upgrade or change vs me trying to make a living selling stuff .... there is a difference there and it needs to be clear

once again this should be an advantage to the commercial entities because as i have observed earlier buying new and from a shop or online shop adds warranty to the table - this is a huge plus in my books because it adds value to buying from the dealer - means i would rather buy from a dealer new than from a second hand seller unless its a bargain price and its a person trustworthy enough who will not try to deliberately sell broken stuff then i would be tempted by a second hand item but generally dealers who do take trade-ins would be more meticulous about the second hand goods that they sell too ie fix whatever's broken before selling it or maybe servicing the item and giving it a once over to make sure that its all working so that the buyer gets his moneys worth

but i want it to be super easy to make this differentiation - especially when it comes to traded in goods ie if its all in one section then is the dealer selling that second hand item like the rest of us with no warranty and no due diligence to make sure its working etc - or is he selling it with limited warranty and he has checked it out or serviced it and because he is generally wanting to get his trade-in value back so possibly might come in at higher pricing than a private seller so what benefit do i get out of it ..... all of these things make the potential risk for deals going south all the more easy - with lots of potential arguments and recriminations etc and IMHO if the seller is going to profit he has to do his diligence toward ensuring that the item is fully working and provide a small limited warranty to that aim ie he is selling for a profit margin on here

i want to be able to say that all these things are clear to me before i commit to a purchase .... so no hostility whatsoever intended toward anyone, least of all the dealers/commercial members who do sell for a profit - and no objection to anyone making a profit but that profit has to come with some benefit to the buyer too ie there should be no "free lunches" here if you pardon the cliche

with the private sellers it is understood that most sales are going to be voetstoets .... i mean if i sell something and it breaks within 6 months i have no idea what the buyer did with it so there is nothing i can really do about it - nor do i have the expertise or skills required to give it the once over checks (internally) before i sell it .... but guys selling on for profit have to have some type of short term warranty implied on it ..... and in these instances most private buyers are selling for a lot less than they purchased the item for ..... i mean no-one can seriously imply that someone like Mervin for example is selling for a profit

at the end of the day there are differences in the format of those two various types of sales and the differentiation as it currently stands does manage to effectively demonstrate those without you having to think very long and hard and potentially lose a sale or purchase you were intending to make AND as has been pointed out the dealers/traders are not really variables because you will know where they can be found but with private buyers and sellers it is definitely obviously higher risk unless they are well known figures in the community

now you lump it all in one - i can't ask the buyer "hey are you selling for profit?" - because the guy would be bonkers to reply in the affirmative to this and hence then i have to try and figure all this out with almost no clue about any of this just from a guys title ..... that to me is a lose/lose situation for everyone  :nfi:

I fail to see the ambiguity you imply on member status/type.  Itís right there. 

Taking it one further, commercial members classifieds (ie used) are mostly trade ins sold to recoup the cost of trade in which was done at a market driven value. 

Traders I guess are indeed trying to gain from used sales.   

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:32:25 AM by Hi-Phibian »
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online BJ

« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
Me  :thinking:

Felix just pulled off the Mother of ALL Trolling threads :point:

There should be a special sticker for Best participant....

Naughty WIN.....hands down :ROFLMAO:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Online Katji

« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
eish. :/ Now that is even harder to understand.

Offline Stanp

« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »
Ben, you had better watch out  :stop:, you may get suspended. :facepalm: I don't want to loose a member with such great humour. It will make the forum all the poorer

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »
Me  :thinking:

Felix just pulled off the Mother of ALL Trolling threads :point:

There should be a special sticker for Best participant....

Naughty WIN.....hands down :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha, I'll change my profile pic when home, just for you 😊

Offline Stanp

« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
Hi-Phibian has a very valid point about the fact that many sellers of Hi Fi are not on this forum: commercial members are not just sellers of Hi Fi, they are passionate about what they do. They love music too. Have their own Hi Fi's at home. Look at his post count, over 12000 posts. They are valuable members on this forum, who greatly tribute to it.

Online Katji

« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2019, 04:56:27 PM »
It's not an issue. 

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Hahaha, I'll change my profile pic when home, just for you 😊
@BJ I kept yours overnight - will do mine the same  :point:

Online BJ

« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2019, 06:37:15 PM »
@BJ I kept yours overnight - will do mine the same  :point:

Hahaha.....you lucky fish!!! I had to do a lot of explaining to the Missus last time :point:
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2019, 07:36:05 PM »
Fellow members, the time has come to close this thread.

In closing the reason for this hopefully, an entertaining thread was to gauge opinion. It was never intended to be scientific, nor was any promise made of change. It was great to see all the enthusiastic participation, I enjoyed reading all the varied responses and opinions and I hope your experience was the same. It was a pleasure to moderate this thread too, not much (actually very little) was sent to decon.

At the close of this thread, we stand at about a 60/40 split of members being in favour of one classified section. My take on that is that it's time for a change and I am in favour of a new and improved classified section. Hopefully, that would be the next step taken by the Moderation team and gauge the way forward to an improved classified section.