KingRex - Head Quarters 1 - Review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyzer

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Time for another review.

Since the uDSD + HD600 write up I did, things have grown a bit. My latest acquisition being the rare and under marketed KingRex HQ-1.
The KingRex HQ-1 is a class A mosfet headphone amp, that features a separately housed PSU, gold plated RCA input, RCA pre-out and a 6.3mm output. The amp and PSU are connected via a balanced interconnect.
The unit is well built and somewhat over-engineered, but that?s a good thing.

Setting up you first notice the striking red and black aesthetic takes pride of place on any desk.
When you power it up you are greeted by the usual Asian styled, blue LED of death.
Even though the unit is class A, it only gets slightly warm. unlike something like an Audeze Deckard.

I gave unit input from my uDSD, and I swapped between my Sennheiser HD600 and Audeze LCD 2 (pre-fazor).
I tested many various genre?s from Classical and jazz all the way to heavy metal and EDM. The amp section is powerful enough to drive my LCD?s to deafening volumes at 11 o?clock on the volume dial,
but no matter how loud or soft you set the volume there is not sign of clipping and harshness. Given that the sound signature and build was designed around the EQ of the HD600, it makes for a fantastic pairing is neutrality is your taste.
The due to the separately housed psu and class A design, the amp section is one of the cleanest I have heard, you can really notice the difference between well recorded tracks, poorly ripped redbook and quirky needle drops.

I think the only amp I have heard that beats the unit for neutrality and clarity is the infamous SPL Phonitor. After many hours of listening and analysis I really enjoy how the unit conveys every bit of signal to the LCD?s,
the solid state and planar combo is something of sheer joy,  you get to hear every detail that your DAC can provide as a source. It makes me want to seriously upgrade my DAC, as I know this unit can do so much more. HD 600 wise,
the unit is good but I still prefer HD600 on valves, as it provides that little bit of extra warmth and it smooths out the tone for relaxed listening.

From a technical stand point, it is well designed and implemented, built with quality components, has more than enough output power for most users, and it has clean power delivery with a very low noise output.

From an audiophile stand point, it outputs audio as it was recorded, bringing forward all of the dynamics of a sound from low bass to high treble.
Instruments have the correct tone and mass, vocals have all the detail of a live performance.
It?s all measured and controlled no matter what you listen to. I found myself addicted to jazz and tracks with good vocals. :groovy:

In short it does exactly what a good amp should. So if you can get your hands on a KingRex HQ-1,unless you need balanced, don?t even think twice. It is a fantastic unit!

Thanks to [member=19576]capetownwatches[/member] for selling me his beloved Rooi kop. You're not getting her back...  :tongue:

Cheers all, until the next purchase...