cartridge recommendations

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamboetie

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had experience with these cartridges - :

Clearaudio virtuoso
Denon DL304
Denon dl301 mk2
Denon dl103r [maybe modded?]
Ortofon mc30 super
Ortofon mc30 supreme
AT- OC9 ml/ii
AT-33PTG
Empire mc1000 [van den hul]
Dynavector Karat d17 mkll
Dynavector 10x5

I know it is a long list.I am particularly interested to know if anybody has had stellar performance from any of these on a modified RB300 fitted on an unsuspended TT.In my case a Micro Seiki BL51.I am using a Trichord Dino phono stage with the Dino + power supply which has a fairly wide range of settings for MM and MC carts.
I am using an Ortofon 2M Bronze at the moment but would like to make a change.
Sonic characteristics that are important to me - good PRAT and dynamics - balanced across the frequency range with good extension and detail without being "edgy' or harsh.I would also like to try a MC cart sooner or later
I listen to records from my old collection mainly - mostly rock and jazzrock from the 70's and 80's with some quieter acoustic/vocal type stuff inbetween;in other words - fairly varied with an emphasis on "boogie" factor.
I do not have any experience with other carts - I only got back into vinyl fairly recently +- 1 and a half years ago.
If I am to buy new- the dl304 is probably as high as I would go price wise and is probably top contender but,as I say,I am open to suggestions - what the hell - I might even be open to propositions if there are any gorgeous audiofilly's out there. :D

Latest posts