Quad II Advice for a Noob

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WernerC

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post so please be kind  ;).

I have a pair of Quad II amps, the control unit as well as a Quad Tuner. My father inherited these from his brother about 20 years ago. Back then he was never able to get them to work so he had them looked at at a shop in Joburg CBD. He can't recall the name of the shop. They told him everything is still working except for the tuner and that it was not worth the effort to repair it. These went into a box and into the garage till now.

I am very dumb and still learning but after my recent purchase of some Bentley acoustic speakers and getting a nice little setup at home, my interest was piqued. So I fetched the Quads from my parents' house and plugged everything in. All the valves are lighting up at least, but unfortunately, I don't have a phono or tape or working tuner to test the amps with to see if they still work properly.

So what I need to know:
Is there are person/shop in the Johannesburg area that you guys can recommend that will be able to help me test and possibly restore these?
Would they be worth more restored or original?
Is there a market to sell these in SA?

Latest posts