Author Topic: Tip from a Japanese audiophile - silver USB cable  (Read 3348 times)

Offline capetownwatches

Re: Tip from a Japanese audiophile - silver USB cable
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »
Ask someone to swap the cables for you, make some notes, swap again, rinse and repeat and see whether these notes correlate to the cables.
I would like to do this at some stage. Do you want to volunteer as cable-changer..? :mates:

If you are able to notice these differences in your DAC it might entirely be due to that the USB implementation is less robust or of an earlier generation which could make these differences more audible using different cables.

Differences are clear to hear on the NFB11.32 which uses an older VIA USB interface rather than newer XMOS or Amanero. It is still a very high quality USB implementation though. I hear NO differences when swopping cables to the Benchmark however, which is now 12 years old!

You have an USB->SPDIF converter. Why not try the same experiment on the Audio-GD DAC using different coax cables as the Audio-GDs generally use good SPDIF interface ICs. My take is that you would hear more differences in swapping the transport.

I have used the SPDIF input with the NFB11 and it is excellent (Toshiba I believe). I have not listened critically for differences however. Another project...

It devalues engineering to absurdity and also leaves our hobby open to ridicule.

Don't take it personally...but I agree with you. Unfortunately it may already be too late...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:20:23 AM by capetownwatches »

Offline pwatts

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
An interesting experiment when it comes to USB cables would be to use the supersilver stuff only for the power and ground but not the data signals. In many USB designs even those that are self-powered still draw some marginal current from the host. By separating those and testing empirically it could perhaps start to give some insight on the issues.

Offline ScottulusMaximus

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »
So this thread is not really about hearing differences in digital signal cables as many people do manage to hear these differences and since audio is transmitted through a chain between source and destination, any change in the chain is going to have an impact to a degree on the sound.

If you follow this thought back then streaming audio would sound different over fibre, ADSL or LTE... Hell if Tidal changed an ethernet cable in their data centre audiophiles the world over would hear it! It doesn't, because digital transmission doesn't work this way.

It's a 1 or a 0, klaar, and if the 1 or 0 gets messed around with to the extent the DAC doesn't know what it is then you won't just get a loss in "detail"(or clarity, or fluidity or whatever :cr@p: the salesman claims) it could be a bit that drops the sound completely or you'll get pops, distortions, bangs, anything. Thinking that a messed up bit will always be the least significant shows a fundamental misunderstanding of digital signal transmission.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »
In order to get the benefit of these super USB cables, you must first change the USB sockets on your PC motherboards and DAC's to pure-silver/cryogenically-treated types.

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »
If you follow this thought back then streaming audio would sound different over fibre, ADSL or LTE... Hell if Tidal changed an ethernet cable in their data centre audiophiles the world over would hear it! It doesn't, because digital transmission doesn't work this way.

It's a 1 or a 0, klaar, and if the 1 or 0 gets messed around with to the extent the DAC doesn't know what it is then you won't just get a loss in "detail"(or clarity, or fluidity or whatever :cr@p: the salesman claims) it could be a bit that drops the sound completely or you'll get pops, distortions, bangs, anything. Thinking that a messed up bit will always be the least significant shows a fundamental misunderstanding of digital signal transmission.

Or if you have an external hard drive the USB cable will change the way your photos look. The human mind is incredibly suggestible, which is why placebos actually sometimes work (although it never works for cancer).

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+142)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
The Hibiki Audio Club have their meetings on a Sunday, and spent some time with this cable. 
Here is his (Taeko) email to me.  A Minka is a traditional Japanese house and in the evening, you serve tea

Mr Chris, hello again
The club has its regular-meeting at Hinata's Minka once more and after Konbanwa and tea, we assembled to hear the Valve amplifier, the Leben Audio clone that has been featured this year and designed by Mr Hyodo.  This is very well received and the chairman complimented the builders team on an exemplary unit.

Sava again said he had altered the USB cable I told you about.  Following the recommendation from the engineer, he introduced a shield to cover the data cables.  This is grounded at the DAC end and we again had the Kyodo Denshi Engineering Co DAC which so proved it worth very so good in listening tests.

The music ranged from some severe classical to an entry of Kaito Drums same as I have sent you, much dynamic and punch with timbres to die for.   After some discussion, no-one could hear any slight difference.   Hinata has this Audioquest Diamond, which I shudder to tell you the price - you won't like it I am sure.  Again, there were 22 members all told and 8 claimed with most certainty that all sounded the same.  The others preferred the Diamond and the unshielded silver USB.   These better than the standard one that came with the Kyodo, although much acclaimed.

So there you have it, we left all thinking that goodness, Hinata is lucky to buy the Diamond cable.   What it is made of no-one knows, but is 60,000 Yen which is not a casual purchase to be sure.
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline ronman

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
Interesting
I too dabbled with various USB cables a while ago. I didn't want to believe there would be a difference, but from my experience there can be.
End of the day I landed up buying a few Atlas USB cables. Before listening trials, I really wanted the silver construction Kimber Kable USB but for the price tag (R9000) over the Atlas (R2000), the Atlas was better "value for money".  I could not hear any difference between these 2 brands, so the extra expense wasn't justified.
I remember using the Atlas for a few days, swapping those out to the standard issue cheapie cable, and SQ had degraded horridly. As I didn't want to be hearing things to justify the capital outlay, I had friends over who could also tell the difference between the Atlas and the cheapie cable. That sealed the deal.

Should any of the Japanese USB cables become available, I would be keen to lay my hands on a pair too.