Author Topic: What's it called?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Aqualung

What's it called?
« on: July 13, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »
I removed these today from an old Pioneer tape deck. One came off fine; the other hit me in the forehead and then bounced into the stratosphere... gone.
So now I need to start looking for a replacement, but I don't even know what it is called!
Can anyone please help with the correct term for these little black caps that secure the supply and take-up pulleys on their shafts?
And/or know where I can buy one (or a few) from?

Thanks,
Johan

I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: What's it called?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
Revox call them spindle post clamps. 

At a pinch (no pun) you can use a furniture foot/door stop, suitably drilled out so its a positive fit on the shaft

There is a shop near me in Wynberg that has them in black, red and white.  They cost about R1,00 each

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
Thanks Chris, but this is not a reel-to-reel deck. It is a standard cassette tape deck, and these "nubs" are about 3mm diameter and 3mm deep.
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
Sorry, not a helpful comment, but were you outside or something? Surely it must be lying around somewhere?

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 10:14:29 PM »
i have used a piece of pvc insulation stripped off an ordinary piece of multistrand copper wire - pvc piece about 2 or 3mm long.
Not too pretty but it worked.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
What about a small rubber grommet?

You get various sizes for inserting in the wall of an enclosure, to protect the cable from abraiding.  In my drawer I have several, the smallest is 2.5mm.   They are also called "bushes" and "cable entry sleeves"

Then there is a company called Multiplex Rubber Rollers in Ottery who manufacture things like that.  They are customers of mine and I have seen them making tiny O-rings for a University project

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
i have used a piece of pvc insulation stripped off an ordinary piece of multistrand copper wire - pvc piece about 2 or 3mm long.
Not too pretty but it worked.

Thanks - yes, I have done this in the past.
I does not look pretty, but mostly works.  :thumbs:

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »
What about a small rubber grommet?
You get various sizes for inserting in the wall of an enclosure, to protect the cable from abraiding.  In my drawer I have several, the smallest is 2.5mm.   

Thanks Chris - but these spindle shafts are about 1mm, if not less.

Then there is a company called Multiplex Rubber Rollers in Ottery who manufacture things like that. 

Thanks, I will file this away - I might need them for a few other items!  :thumbs:

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
Sorry, not a helpful comment, but were you outside or something? Surely it must be lying around somewhere?

After almost 2 hours on my knees on the cold cement looking for it, and giving up, I did not really enjoy this comment.
But then, this morning, I went out again, and spotted it about 3m away within 5 minutes!
So, thanks for making me look again.  :2thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »
I would still really like to know what this part is called - I'd like to google it and see if there are any for sale on Ebay!  :teach:

Offline dieOrg

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 05:58:16 PM »
Sprocket? Look at the read more.

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/audio-music/cassette2.htm

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Offline Aqualung

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
Sprocket?

Close, but no. The sprockets are the "feed pulley" and the "take-up pulley". These little knobbies keep the sprocket seated in place
on a thin shaft/spindle, and almost act like tiny circlips (they might actually have a type of circlip inside, as there is a groove in the thin shaft they "clamp" onto). But we are getting closer!

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 08:25:43 PM »
After almost 2 hours on my knees on the cold cement looking for it, and giving up, I did not really enjoy this comment.
But then, this morning, I went out again, and spotted it about 3m away within 5 minutes!
So, thanks for making me look again.  :2thumbs: :thumbs:

Um, sorry, and uh, you're welcome :)

I didn't mean to come across negatively, I was just wondering that surely it must be somewhere or perhaps there was some funny story like it went out a window and down a drain (the sort of thing that would happen to me actually!)