Author Topic: Small Room Bookshelves Pick under 3K  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Wolla

Re: Small Room Bookshelves Pick under 3K
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 01:42:52 AM »
Best Iíve heard (and owned) is the Mission M51. It sounds like a huge set, but is tiny and with such nice rich, yet controlled bass and contrary to the specs are reasonably easy to drive. I used them on a small chip-amp and they sounded excellent.

They also spit on anything Andrew Jones ever turned out. I expect a  :flame:, but I truly thought his little Pioneer bookshelves were broken.
Waldman Jordaan - St Helena Bay, WC
Main/PC: FLAC > Zotac ZBox Nano Windows 10 PC > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 monos > Piega Premium 5
Cables: Zu Audio - Mission,
HP: iPad Pro > Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, DIY OB Boombox

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 08:14:25 AM »
B&W 685 S1, 2nd hand.

Serious value for money for the sound!

Iím still impressed after many years of ownership. Iím looking for another pair.

Only issue, might be exactly R3k at worst R3,5k (for that extra R501, I think itís  worth it)
Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest
In all 3 Set-ups

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
Best Iíve heard (and owned) is the Mission M51. It sounds like a huge set, but is tiny and with such nice rich, yet controlled bass and contrary to the specs are reasonably easy to drive. I used them on a small chip-amp and they sounded excellent.

They also spit on anything Andrew Jones ever turned out. I expect a  :flame:, but I truly thought his little Pioneer bookshelves were broken.

Hi Wolla, no flame throwing from me, sometimes life gives you the odd lemon, I can only relate to what I heard and with a host of different amps in my friend's room. A little Rega amp made it sing.

My pick of the lot would be to raise the budget a little, and if you can find them, any Proac.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline XL1000

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »
I have a very special pair of Missions available...The Elegance Series was very well built and sound beautiful.
They come with original packaging and wall brackets. Serious kit. Would look at selling them to you Sire...!

Mission E80 Bookshelf Speakers

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 12:54:40 PM »
^^^ Tony, that is a fantastic offer, take it asap. I will drive from Cape Town to deliver it for you.

Excellent speakers, especially at that price!!

Well done XL1000, Kudos to you!
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline juventino

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
If you can find the Q Acoustics either the 3020 or the concept definitely can not go wrong.

They sound brilliant and should be easy enough to drive.

Those missions though do look the part!
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »
Some really lekker suggestions and amazing offers here and via PM  :2thumbs:

B&W 685 S1, 2nd hand.
I have owned 685 S1's and honestly IMHO very overrated and underwhelming.Make no mistake they are nice speakers but if you have owned some like the older, 602's B&W went backwards with the 685's.

The missions really do look nice too thanks Aaron.

So I have grabbed a set of Linn Index speakers for an amazing bargain price.Reading up a bit they seemed well suited being sealed enclosures with a KEF B200 8" bass/mid driver.They can literally be placed right up against the wall.Mixed reviews out there but I hooked them up this afternoon and they sound pretty darn decent to me.Just plonked them on the desk ,hooked up a modest Russound amp and earphone out from my laptop to test.Gonna try them out in my cave during the week.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline GECO

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 06:36:21 PM »
Try and get your hands on b&o HT2200. I have a pair in my office and by far best i have had as far as bookshelfs go. They can be EQ quite a bit to boost the bass a bit

Offline XL1000

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 06:59:17 PM »
Well done Tony. I really hope you enjoy them.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
Some really lekker suggestions and amazing offers here and via PM  :2thumbs:
I have owned 685 S1's and honestly IMHO very overrated and underwhelming.Make no mistake they are nice speakers but if you have owned some like the older, 602's B&W went backwards with the 685's.

The missions really do look nice too thanks Aaron.

So I have grabbed a set of Linn Index speakers for an amazing bargain price.Reading up a bit they seemed well suited being sealed enclosures with a KEF B200 8" bass/mid driver.They can literally be placed right up against the wall.Mixed reviews out there but I hooked them up this afternoon and they sound pretty darn decent to me.Just plonked them on the desk ,hooked up a modest Russound amp and earphone out from my laptop to test.Gonna try them out in my cave during the week.

The B&W602 s3 I had were fun speakers to listen to when given the power they deserved.
The were rather average when not given the power they deserve.

I'm currently using a pair of Monitor audio silver 4i which don't seem too fussy when it comes to power demand.

Enjoy your new speakers
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:33:11 PM by BobsYourUncle »
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »
^^ The S3 was also a bit of a let down compared to the S2 602's IMHO.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 06:41:03 PM »
I have the Dali Zensor 1ís and the NAD D3020 on my desk

Bought on the recommendation of Croak.

I love it, fills a room with beautiful sound.
"you're welfare is a hulluva lot more important and the music is, than a dollar." Chip Monck

Woodstock 69

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • The reformist - there is a better way.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »
Enjoy CAD! Those Kef B200's are nice drivers. They are partially to blame for my audiophile rabbit hole journey.
ďI have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.Ē Alan Watts

Offline IlkoAlexandrov

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
Coming into this one too late i guess, i cannot but agree with the Mission sentiment above - what a tiny little wonder whatever model they were,and which i had many years back ..

Today, I'm listening to a slightly more expensive but small AE Radiance One pair, which sound sublime, but with the addition of two external "boosters" - the XOTs and the Townshend supertweets - they sound simply magnificent .. and this is how the bill jumps into the 25 - 30K ..
Nothing other than a Exclame must come between you and the music