Poll

Does the normal OEM kettle cord offer the same performance as a higher quality aftermarket  power cables?

1. NO
2. I believe EMI or RFI can introduce noise on an OEM kettle cord supplied with your normal audio equipment.
3. I believe an audiophile cable should be plugged into my Eskom wall socket to experience it benefits?
4. I believe an audiophile cable should only be used between filtered or regenerated power supplies and audio equipment?
5. YES

Author Topic: Power Cable discussions are boring, so why not tell us what you really think?  (Read 7311 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
Only when you bite the cup and have to spit out the bits...

Polystyrene is more likely to contain micro particles and contaminants than washed and polished glass.
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline capetownwatches

Only when you bite the cup and have to spit out the bits...

Polystyrene is more likely to contain micro particles and contaminants than washed and polished glass.

Thanks Chris, and agreed...I was being sarcastic. I know, the lowest form of wit... :-X

Offline Morne Coetzee

Oh my Soul!! So this is where cable discussions comes to die..... :BWAHAHAH:
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline vleisman

Riedel wine glasses most definitely improve the nose and flavour of wine.  You can get these from Wine Essentials.  The average price is about R500 per glass.  I don't have any but a friend I visit quite often has the complete range and we have proved more than once that the difference is immediately apparent

My wife and I attended a small wine tasting at a local shop that sells Riedel glasses. They served us the same wine out of the same bottle in 2 different Riedel wine glasses. The difference was amazing. Riedel are ridiculously expensive, I can't see myself spending that on a wine glass, but the research and quality of them is easy to see/smell/taste.

Offline capetownwatches

My wife and I attended a small wine tasting at a local shop that sells Riedel glasses. They served us the same wine out of the same bottle in 2 different Riedel wine glasses. The difference was amazing. Riedel are ridiculously expensive, I can't see myself spending that on a wine glass, but the research and quality of them is easy to see/smell/taste.

I wonder if you would have experienced the same had you not known which wine it was or which glasses you were using...?
I am unqualified to comment really since I don't drink alcohol, but you get my drift.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:53:00 AM by capetownwatches »

Offline vleisman

I wonder if you would have experienced the same had you not known which wine it was or which glasses you were using...?

I had no idea or real interest in what wine it was, had never heard of it. I like drinking, I'm not a connoisseur, I was there for the free booze. I also had no clue about wine glasses and the differences in shape and material. I pretty much drink anything, out of anything. My lowest point to date has been drinking warm Lion lager out of a Whenwe's veldskoen that he'd removed moments before.

In this case the glasses were both Riedel, equally expensive, equally nice to look at and hold, just different shapes. No bias at work here, we weren't told which glass was intended to taste better or cost more or whatever, it was presented as a comparison purely out of interest. I never expected to taste any difference and would not have believed there would be one if you told me beforehand. The fact that there was a difference, and not a subtle difference and that all 20 odd people noticed it, is enough for me. I almost always can't tell the difference between a Shiraz and a Merlot for example. I could probably tell the difference between a red and a white most of the time.

Offline capetownwatches

The fact that there was a difference, and not a subtle difference and that all 20 odd people noticed it, is enough for me.

Group Expectation Bias at work here? Of course the different shapes of the glasses must make a difference, but for every person to experience the same thing points to either that or mass hypnosis...
How much had you drunk up to that point..?  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline AlleyCat

Power cables discussions are boring, as there are the 3 extremes to consider :

1. The bible thumping objectivists on the right who believe what they believe, ...read the books ;

2. The middle ground where they buy the cables they want, snap it up in an instant once advertised, don't worry about the price as each and every buy is a bargain and never ever speak publicly about whether the purchase was justified or not and live happily ever after, and

3. Those that enjoy their topple, with music of course, after they enjoyed their tipple (debates only happen in the beginning, once toppling they do not care in what form the tipple is consumed).
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline scrarfussi

Solution is simple buy one power cable try it on your system
If you hear the difference buy more.
If you don't well at least you can say you have a decent cable  :thumbs:
They make a difference to me.
Every little thing makes a difference then when you sum it up it becomes a big difference.
When you look inside a TV with its super thin power chord there is lots and lots of those emi filters on the power section
So a cable that already reduces emi.
Makes a difference
suum cuique pulchrum est

"Then Said my heart here will i take my rest."

Offline pwatts

Concerning wine glasses, it's the shape too that plays an important factor
https://www.chemistryworld.com/research/camera-turned-wine-connoisseur/8443.article

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
I "know" that my friend has a few sets of Reidel glasses.  He only gets them out with really expensive (R400+) bottles of mainly French wine.  These glasses are recogniseable from their shape and are a bit larger than a Woolies glass

So I would say I am anticipating the wine will taste excellent.  It always does.  The red wine is also served between 13 and 15 deg, which also plays a part.  White wine can be 11 to 12 deg

Offline Nidri

The water that comes out of my taps has to travel a very long way to get to my house.
All kinds of pipes, made out of all kinds of materials.
Before I drink the water, it goes through a Brita water filter.
I like the way it tastes out of the water filter better than the way it tastes out of the tap.
Is that just expectation bias though?
Maybe.
Am I saying that water is the same as electricity?
No. Or am I?
Is the glass the power cable? Is the power conditioner the water filter?

BTW the URL cabledebate.com is available for only $12 per annum*.
I think I'll buy it and become the global leader in the lucrative cable debate business.

Who's with me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZI6-zh0GM

* https://www.godaddy.com/domainsearch/find?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=cabledebate.com
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
If you look at tap water through a microscope, you will be surprised to see what is included.  Quite a lot of vegetable matter, a trace of intestinal microbes, shredded paper, sand and clay particles and in some areas, iron particulates.

You water filter will remove much of this.  Even better is an activated charcoal filter which will take out some of the dissolved chlorine.   Tea and coffee taste much better

Offline Morne Coetzee

The results of this A/B test was so obvious if you can't tell the difference you should stick to your Dixon.
The difference between a kettle cord and a R79 000 power cord. That being said it was on a R272 000 integrated amp, so don't be suprised if you can't hear it on your Marantz or Nad.
After all it's not the rest of the worlds fault we live in a backwards 3rd world country where your currency buys you 1/20th of the rest of the world: https://youtu.be/Bqp4oUff4XE
Soon a bread will cost R1 million rand, then you will long for the days you could buy a pair of B&W's for only R500 000.
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Online El Sid

So if I boil water using a high-end power cable will my coffee taste better?

It will be a blacker black