Kef 105/3 Repair

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windshear

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
1287284277.jpg

My brother has a pair of these loudspeakers. He has had them in storage for the last 2 years. We unpacked them the other day and found a few nasty surprises. Most of the midrange drivers surrounds are comming loose, it seems the epoxy bonding the surround to the diaphragm has partially failed. Also having done a little research on the net last night it seems i need to have a look at the woofers as well as they appear to be prone to failure as well in terms of surround "rot" , more like perishing. I havent had a look to see if they are in any way perished, but will do when i get a chance.

The question i have is, who is the expert to do a repair on these, would it be advisable to get the agents to do this, only thing is are the reservations regarding cost. Alternatively what about getting a repair kit and attempting a repair/ replacment of the suspect items myself.

http://www.kef.com/history/en/1980/model105_3.asp
In its day this was a very sweet sounding loudspeaker and to get a similiar quality of sound would cost a fortune in this day and age, so im open to suggestions or idea's what is the best solution to follow.

Latest posts