Chilies

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisF

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a very interesting web site, for chili aficionados, that is.
https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/frequently-asked-questions/the-scoville-scale/
I want to try out these guys' recepices and report back here on my findings. In the meantime here is something I have tried out recently. Not high heat, but at least you know you have chili sauce in your mouth. Somewhat bitter after you have swallowed, but then a quite pleasant after taste makes itself known. I enjoy it. Taste will depend a lot on which chutney you add.
I used fresh green jalapenos, ?200g. First I cut off the "heads" (where the stem attaches to the pod), cut them open and removed the seeds along with that whitish inner "trunk" know not what it is called, which I kept. [Wear disposable gloves or kitchen gloves when handling cut chilies, for even after washing - and scrubbing, even - my hands afterwards, and having a shower before turning in, a sort of tingling "cold burning" sensation persisted in especially my left hand that did most of the handling of the chilies when cutting them open. That lasted the entire night and even after shampooing my hair after I got up the sensation, though much more tolerable, still persisted for a while longer.]
I put a handful of coarse sea salt in a bowl and the cut chilies on top of that, placed an upturned side plate on top of that and covered in cold water. The side plate is to prevent the chilies from floating. I did the same with the seeds and left it for about 36 hours - though 24 h is quite long enough - and drained. By now the chilies had quite a pleasant sweetish salty taste but was much too mild to my taste, so I added the seeds to the chilies, along with a medium sized onion, chopped, and three cloves of garlic, likewise chopped. Next time I shall double  the amount of both onion and garlic. I then drained and pulped the whole shebang in a food processor, added one cup of white wine vinegar (spirit vinegar would do as well, I think) and half a cup of tap water and put it in my automatic electric pressure cooker, on the "Broth" setting. The result now had a bit of fire, still quite mild, but I found it overly bitter, so I added two tablespoonfuls of my home made apricot chutney, which also contained some red chilies, just enough to move it closer to the upper level of mild; round about 7 000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU) or maybe slightly lower would be my guess. The result was, as I said above, not too bad.

Watch this space.

Latest posts