Author Topic: Aurelia Studio B Headphone Amp  (Read 236 times)

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Aurelia Studio B Headphone Amp
« on: June 20, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »
  • Item: Aurelia Studio B Headphone Amp
  • Price: R 1200
  • Condition: Perfect ... 9/10
  • Packaging: Has a makeshift box
  • Collection: Preferred
  • Shipping: Buyer's cost and risk R100 Postnet to Postnet
  • Reason for Sale: Way too many headphone amps

For the uninitiated, this is a piece of South African head-fi history.  Almost 10 years ago Gert designed and built around 30 of these.  My one is the upgraded Studio B (or Boutique) version with upgraded pot, caps and a few other tweaks.  I got it earlier this year to see if it was any good, and the short answer is it is plenty good. 

I posted these impressions on a chat group a few days after I got it.

"OK some thoughts on the Aurelia Studio B.  I did not expect much from this amp.  It is based on a TPA6120 opamp after all, which although very well-specified for headphone amp service, was surely intended for mobile amps, DAP's, and high-end smartphones.  Apart from some low-key Chinese models (SMSL SAP-1 and SAP-9, Topping A30, HA-info, FX-AUDIO PH-A2, etc) it has never been used in a desktop unit. 

To put it bluntly, this amp is much better than it has a right to be.  The sound signature is very close to the much-wanted SPL Phonitor - very linear through the range, nicely detailed and reasonable dynamic impact.  Because of the lower gain, it works a treat with sensitive IEM's as well as full sized cans up to 300 ohm (donít have any 600ohm one's ATM). 

As a full-sized headphone amplifier for the price of mid-range Fiio portable, I cannot recommend the Aurelia strong enough.  It is plenty powerful and transparent enough for anyone starting out in head-fi to experiment with a range of over-ear headphones, then buy a better amp to suit the chosen headphones.  I cannot think of a more cost-effective entry into this very rewarding hobby."

Pics below are from the internet - mine is serial number 00010.  Actual pics by whatsapp if required.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Michon

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
Re: Aurelia Studio B Headphone Amp
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:09:23 PM »
Am I first in line? If so, I'd like to buy it back please.
Plate, vakuum buis versterkers en breŽband oorvormers.

Online Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Aurelia Studio B Headphone Amp
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »
On hold in that case ...
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass