Does the Shape & Size of the Glass Valve make a Difference to the Sound ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Fellows

Is it possible that the shape of the glass, and its volume make a difference to the sound ?

Take a 300B or a 2a3 tube, with its gorgeously styled curves and the relatively large amount of "empty" internal volume that is un-occupied by the mechanical components.....do these attributes make a difference to the "sound" of the valve, contributing to its desireable sonic signature ?

Compared to a relatively compact, plain looking EL34 / EL84  / 6L6, etc. which are minus the generous attributes mentioned above, if these valves were styled as such each with their exact same internal mechanical structure, would they sound different ?

Taking into account that one can configure the pentodes mentioned to work as triodes, in this configuration do they sound anything like the 300B or the 2a3...?

My first thoughts on this is considering the electron bombardment off the glass and the relative variation in time of this in a larger space, and then taking into account the curvature of the glass that may also affect this, as compared to the " straight" tubes, makes me think that this may be of some influence. Then I thought of the resonant Hz of the larger curvy glass tube as compared to the straight smaller tube, (which accounts for the thickness of the glass as well)....could this make a difference ?

If we could make the glass tube sonically invisible or its internal "acoustic volume" much larger to somewhat mimic or approach the generous volume of the 300B or the 2a3,  (you can laugh at this, its ok...something like an open baffle effect, but from an electrical "inside the valve" perspective), or change its resonance, would this make any difference ? ( this last sentence is probably the funniest thing I have written, and im killing myself with laughter... :BWAHAHAH: but I have some ideas )

:popcorn: