Author Topic: My little bit of vintage in the new pad  (Read 494 times)

Online Nidri

Re: My little bit of vintage in the new pad
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
Thank you, would love to find some schematics for the fateful day, but absolutely nothing on the web unfortunately, only much older stuff available...

When I got them to SA last year I was very disappointed to find that despite their pristine condition the preamp had a blown left line out stage, not completely tickets but distorting... thankfully itís all transistor based, so after some figuring out where exactly what was, I followed a 3k tone signal along what I could make out of the circuit path with my old oscilloscope until I found the point of distortion being a blown transistor, which I replaced with one from the headphone stage - since I donít use headphones - and she has been perfect ever since...

Beautifully built products.., but then most things were back in the day...

Are these the TCA-4038 & TPA-4036?
I almost bought a pair from springair a while back.
Surprised at how good the TR2045 receiver from 1978 is.
So these must be truly special.
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
Are these the TCA-4038 & TPA-4036?
I almost bought a pair from springair a while back.
Surprised at how good the TR2045 receiver from 1978 is.
So these must be truly special.

Yes, those are the one's, wish I could find the matching CD player, even if non functioning..

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 10:12:21 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering, where are the speakers, what speakers are being driven by that serious amplifier.

Here you go, just the KEF's, unfortunately another bad light photo.. I don't like them there, while they work great, they don't fit in with the look and feel, and that's kinda important to me too, so I might just put the Missions there as they will 'blend' better, time will tell...

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
I've long made peace with (mostly) all black equipment. I've found that they blend better with different wood furniture than trying to "match" with the furniture.

Tell me more about the mantel clock??  :drool:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
I've long made peace with (mostly) all black equipment. I've found that they blend better with different wood furniture than trying to "match" with the furniture.

Tell me more about the mantel clock??  :drool:

True story this, don't know much about that clock, except that it's beautiful, works fine and a long time friend of mine's (you know the type you had from day 1 at school..) dad threw that clock out in the rain, together with the SAE in my photo and the Missions I refer to, all perfectly functional sometime back in the 80's... go figure :facepalm:

As you can deduct from this message, I am a hoarder, and not in the least bit embarrassed by it....

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
True story this, don't know much about that clock, except that it's beautiful, works fine and a long time friend of mine's (you know the type you had from day 1 at school..) dad threw that clock out in the rain, together with the SAE in my photo and the Missions I refer to, all perfectly functional sometime back in the 80's... go figure :facepalm:

As you can deduct from this message, I am a hoarder, and not in the least bit embarrassed by it....

If he's still around, you need to thank his dad! Or him even!

I have a passion for old mantel clocks & 1,000 day clocks, hence my interest.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Online Katji

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:23 PM »
^^ Speaker connectors under the case, that's one way of ensuring that stands are used!

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
^^ Speaker connectors under the case, that's one way of ensuring that stands are used!

Yep, pic below of the Missions, obviously upside down, clearly see the terminals on the "bottom" of the box...

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
ahhhh.... that looks so nice.  Purely speaking how it actually matches the decor. From one SWAMBO to another... how could she NOT agree :)  :thumbs:

Offline marcochezzi

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
ahhhh.... that looks so nice.  Purely speaking how it actually matches the decor. From one SWAMBO to another... how could she NOT agree :)  :thumbs:

Exactly!! - Thank you very much indeed.... :thumbs:

Online Katji

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
Interesting to see those KEF drivers - the cones, after reading an article in latest Stereophile, 1962 article about paper cones then composites and so on.