Author Topic: The very capable LOXJIE P20, fully balanced headphone amp under $100  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: The very capable LOXJIE P20, fully balanced headphone amp under $100
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
@Scubadude here's GG's post about the tubes we bought for the P20. Sorry about the necro, but I thought you may enjoy this thread now that you have the P20 in your stable.

Thanks NT!

I brought the toy amp into the office today for a shakedown ... why didn't you tell me you had a black one? I assumed they are all red, but the black does look quite good.  I tried it with the Schiit Modi 2 and HD600 (1/4") and HD800 (XLR4 balanced) and without critical or comparative listening it actually sounds pretty decent.  Bottoms and tops are a little rolled off, but everything is nicely balanced and reasonably dynamic. Good little amp! 
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Ninja_Theory

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
Thanks NT!

I brought the toy amp into the office today for a shakedown ... why didn't you tell me you had a black one? I assumed they are all red, but the black does look quite good.  I tried it with the Schiit Modi 2 and HD600 (1/4") and HD800 (XLR4 balanced) and without critical or comparative listening it actually sounds pretty decent.  Bottoms and tops are a little rolled off, but everything is nicely balanced and reasonably dynamic. Good little amp!
Everyone who knows me, knows that I only buy black gear! :D >:D :sh1tstirrer:
Last known location: Somewhere in the audio enthusiast rabbit hole... not sure I'll find my way out.

Offline Deviation

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »
Lol, black one does look much better than the tacky red.

Same with the HD800, silver makes it look cheap.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
The Darkvoice has always been on my list although it's not such a big upgrade over the LDII.

Maybe the next step for me would be something like La Figaro 339 on Drop. The Audiovalve Luminare is my absolute bonkers endgame although I'd have to have to be in possession of a small fortune to even consider buying it.

Best all-round performance and value must be the Bottlehead Crack.
Your HD6xx will need to be surgically removed from your head... ;D

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 12:21:30 PM »
The Darkvoice has always been on my list although it's not such a big upgrade over the LDII.

Maybe the next step for me would be something like La Figaro 339 on Drop. The Audiovalve Luminare is my absolute bonkers endgame although I'd have to have to be in possession of a small fortune to even consider buying it.

A bit off-topic, apologies. I have a Darkvoice and what I love about it is how easy it is to change the sound with tube-rolling. I can have more bass, less bass. Buttery smooth mids or very forward. High and low roll-offs. A difference in sound stage and imaging, etc. Change one tube and it's a new sound signature. I have spent more on tubes than what I have spent on the DV. It is doing permanent duty in my system as a pre as well. I am not wanting.
I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.  Alan Watts

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
Best all-round performance and value must be the Bottlehead Crack.
Your HD6xx will need to be surgically removed from your head... ;D

Intriguing. Considering the aesthetics, I do wonder about wife acceptance though. I can always say it's second hand equipment from the 40's. Do you own one. Was it trouble to bring in?

A bit off-topic, apologies. I have a Darkvoice and what I love about it is how easy it is to change the sound with tube-rolling. I can have more bass, less bass. Buttery smooth mids or very forward. High and low roll-offs. A difference in sound stage and imaging, etc. Change one tube and it's a new sound signature. I have spent more on tubes than what I have spent on the DV. It is doing permanent duty in my system as a pre as well. I am not wanting.

You make a good point. I know that lot of guys stick with the DV even when speccing other gear way past its price range. I'm a cheapskate (by audiophile standards, anyway) and I know that the LDII has a ceiling that the Darkvoice can exceed with superior tubes. Food for thought for sure.
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Dhiveshan

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »
Lol, black one does look much better than the tacky red.

Same with the HD800, silver makes it look cheap.

Strangely, You can select both colours on amazon but only the red version ships to to SA.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
Strangely, You can select both colours on amazon but only the red version ships to to SA.

Alternatively there is another online store that ships both colours.

Some Windows users have however reported suspected malw.are from the site.

https://hifi-express.com/

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »
Intriguing. Considering the aesthetics, I do wonder about wife acceptance though. I can always say it's second hand equipment from the 40's. Do you own one. Was it trouble to bring in?
Unfortunately I don't own one but would very much like to. I have zero soldering skills but luckily have friends that do... :dop:

Can't comment on how easy or difficult to import, but shouldn't be a challenge.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »
I purchased 2 of these that arrived today.

Black version shows finger prints very easily and has a HiRez audio sticker that the red does not have.

I have a nice stash of 5 Russian 6H3NE tubes to replace the supplied ones with although the tube socket is very fussy if pins are slightly skew.

What I have noticed is the following :
* make sure you firmly insert the 6.35mm jack in the amp
* do not leave your cellphone charger in the same multiplug as it could cause a lot of noise (background hum) which I eliminated by removing it
* It does give a pleasant sound provided you feed it with a good source
* I could not discern a noticeable difference in output between using a RCA or XLR input. (only tried single-ended out)

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »
I purchased 2 of these that arrived today.

Black version shows finger prints very easily and has a HiRez audio sticker that the red does not have.

I have a nice stash of 5 Russian 6H3NE tubes to replace the supplied ones with although the tube socket is very fussy if pins are slightly skew.

What I have noticed is the following :
* make sure you firmly insert the 6.35mm jack in the amp
* do not leave your cellphone charger in the same multiplug as it could cause a lot of noise (background hum) which I eliminated by removing it
* It does give a pleasant sound provided you feed it with a good source
* I could not discern a noticeable difference in output between using a RCA or XLR input. (only tried single-ended out)

My findings have been that the magic of this amp definitely comes from the balanced output. The single-ended out seems a bit lackluster.

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
My findings have been that the magic of this amp definitely comes from the balanced output. The single-ended out seems a bit lackluster.
I have no headphones that are wired balanced or I might have uplifted this from you for a quick test... :mates:
Thankfully I have not yet fallen down the balanced rabbit hole.

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
I have no headphones that are wired balanced or I might have uplifted this from you for a quick test... :mates:
Thankfully I have not yet fallen down the balanced rabbit hole.

I have a balanced HD6-- cable strictly for this amp. Have you still got your 600's?

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »

I will try balanced output soon, was not keen due to switching noise/hum from cellphone charger.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 09:25:56 PM »
I will try balanced output soon, was not keen due to switching noise/hum from cellphone charger.

I am finding limited lifting capabilities with Audeze LCD 2.1 compared to the balanced output of the soekris DAC1541.

Somehow I also think the tubes are not really there? 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:39:31 PM by gavinbirss »