Author Topic: Introductions Thread  (Read 260416 times)

Offline chipwelder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Introductions Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2006, 04:34:46 PM »
Hallo I'm Andre and am not new here, but wanted to show off my system which got built with a huge amount of help from Nick and the Internet...

I'm a DIY-er of catastrophic proportions. Meaning more stuff gets broken than built...

The speakers are knock-off drivers in genuine granite and imbuia enclosures. They are 600x400x220mm sealed enclosures, that go down flattish to 50 Hz in my room with usable 40Hz output, a 4x4x3m acoustical nightmare of a concrete cube, hence the surreal clouds that gently accentuate my interior design theme...

The CDP is a hot-rodded Rotel RCD855
The pre-amp is an active three-way X-over - playing as a 2.5 way - wiyth passive everything else.
The power-amp is a six channel chip-amp thingy with enough juice for the room...
The turntable is an AR last generation with an ortofon cartridge and a phono stage I got from Croak, that is a real bargain!

I like classical music most of it from the classical period onwards, jazz - most of it, Blues - most of it, Rock - some of it, Pop - very little of it.
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:27 PM »
Love the speakers! Two thumbs up :)

Offline chipwelder

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »
Thanks!

Have been meaning to do proper faceplates for the amps for about a year and a half now...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 04:12:14 PM »
Hello, all

I joined back in December. Think it's by time I introduce myself.

I love building speakers, and have built a few SS amplifiers.
While I've listed my present system below, I have a 5.1 speaker project on ice based on Adire's Extremis 6.8 and North D28.

Equipment:
DIY Floorstanders: Vifa P21W..... & SEAS 27TFF
DIY surrounds: Vifa D26 & Dynaudio (obscure entry-level driver)
DIY centre channel: North D25-6S & 2x North 13W-06S (still WIP)
DIY sub1: ApexJr Super8 8" + 100W Cerwin Vega plate amp
DIY sub2: Adire FX10 10" + 150W Cerwin Vega plate amp (incl Linkwitz eq)
AV amp: Yamaha RXV-1400RDS
DVD: Yamaha DVD-S550 w/ tweaked fw
PVR: Multichoice
TV: Sony Wega 72cm
MDP: Yamaha MDX-963
CDP1: Rotel RCD-855
CDP2: Rotel RCD-965BX
Stereo PreAmp: Nakamichi CA-7
DIY Stereo Power amp: based on D. Self's Blameless approach

Looking forward to seeing this board grow.

Regards

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2006, 05:27:15 PM »
Interresting. Comments on the North D28?

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 09:48:34 AM »
No comments yet. The project is stalled at the moment, until I have the time to dedicate to it. Gotta concentrate on studies for now...

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Johan

• AVForums Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
Hi guys!

I had some problem finding this thread but now i'm here!

My name is Johan i currently live in vryheid which is in the northern part of Kwa_Zulu Natal, i'm origionally from Durbs and plan to go back there one day. I finished a technical matric in 1999 where i passed a equivalent to N3 in electronics, but that is not where it all began for me, no my toppie has his own electronics business and he has learned me the basics and so forth since i could remeber. Currently i'm employed by him as a technician and my main job at the moment is in RF ie. repairing 2-way radios & repeater systems , i also have to work on and repair computer systems, hi-fi's, tv's and the list goes on..... If you are in a Electronics business you definitly have to deal with a wide range of electronic equipment.

I've been fiddling with speakers and enclosures and amps since i can remember because it tickles my fancy and there is something to a speaker that just makes me unable to leave it alone.

My last project was a 200w RMS 2ch amplifier using tip147's with tone controls and powersupply, it works pretty well but the s/n is not very good and i'm oficially scrapping it.

As for my Equipment - Nothing of quality at the moment , just a pair of old Blaupunkt
floorstanding speakers that can make the windows rattle and the 200w rms amp connected to my pc soundcard.

As for HT - I have a Sony Home Theatre Package that is most of the time configured for multi stereo as the surround sound is dreadful and gives urge to my depression!!LOL!!

I have done a couple of boomboxes and my latest one was sold with my tazz as i had to upgrade to a bigger car due to my daughter being born. That boombox used to rock and the sound was great: 2x Kenwood 10inch Subs 2x Kenwood 7x10's and A 4ch 1000w rms amp together with a passive equ control. " every month i had to refasten the back numberplate and try to minimise all the rattling"

Well that's me! i hope to be able to start up with some decent equipment pretty soon and will try to make most of the equip myself as that is what i like to do.
I don't know much of the amplifiers and speakers that's currently available but i'm willing to learn and with you guys here to help me i doubt that i'll go wrong!! :D

cheers!

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
Nice one. Vryheid brings back memories of the Lui Harms Hostel where the best food ever gets served (from memories of a few retreats there)

Offline chipwelder

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2006, 05:33:08 PM »
Howzit! Shaun, Interesting projects...

Howzit! Johan, You could check out diyaudio.com too, if you haven't already...

Offline Johan

• AVForums Member
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Yes Vryheid has some nice hostels and the best known getaway here is Natal Spa (i think), but some words of wisdom from a guy who comes from the city: It gets pretty quiet around here and after a while it gets to you!! :oops:  so you better have a good hobby to keep you busy!! :D

Looking at diyaudio.com at the chipamp section one question jumps to mind: Most of these guys use the Nasional Semiconductor LMxxxx chips what about ST's TDAxxxx chips they have some pretty nice ones that work quite well. For example my Labtec 2ch pc speakers uses a TDA2005 with a 10w speaker in each enclosure and the sound they produce sometimes amazes me!! you wouldn't say theres a small 10w speaker in there if you know what i mean! :wink:

skinnyfat

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 06:23:41 AM »
A warm welcome guys, hope you will enjoy your stay :D

Offline DACMan1

• AVForums Member
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 11:48:26 AM »
Hello everyone, it took me quite a while to find discover this post...

I'm currently doing my final year electronic engineering at tuks. My current setup is a pair of Lynn olsonn's ariels(2x vifa p13w and 1x scan 9500) with a diy amp based on D. Self's research and a Rotel RCD-02. Also a usb dac based on PCM 1738 and one with 2XPCM1794 with straight USB to I2S(no SPDIF). Also have a pair of tannoy mx-2 for testing, and a bunch of chipamps. I'm busy building 2x2ch pass aleph-x amps for biamping and a pcm1794 based preamp+dac. Also have a pair of more portable speakers planned using peerless 830874 and vifa XT's, but they will have to be finished over 2 weekends( one for cabinets and one for veneering).

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 12:22:28 PM »
Hello! Sorry about the inconvenience, we had some technical issues lately. Thanks for re-posting it.

You mention the USB DAC, can one build an external DAC for a PC using that chip?

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2006, 12:37:38 PM »
Nice one DACMan. Ariels are an interresting project and it would be great to see it at AV Expo or DIY Audio Fest.

Offline DACMan1

• AVForums Member
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »
You can use any dac with I2S input for usb, just need the PCM2706/7 to convert from USB to I2S. On the ariels, they are very,very inconvenient to transport, at 1.2m I still have to remove the footpiece to fit into my car, and i don't have a small car. Also they weigh more than 30kg each, so its alot to ask. I don't know when I will bring them to PTA again, they are in bloem at the moment, since I don't really have a room for them in PTA. But I really think other DIYers should hear them, they are something else. Jacques has a pair in PTA, bus his weighs somthing like 68kg each!