Author Topic: Introductions Thread  (Read 268940 times)

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Introductions Thread
« Reply #1830 on: October 25, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I always enjoy the collective wisdom of these types of forums.

I believe that I can learn a large amount around here as my knowledge on turntables dried up around the start of the cd era.

Could someone recommend a decent direct drive turntable for a start on a hobby budget? I would have loved a Rega or Linn Sondek but alas I can only dream at present. I tend to like the s-bend type of tone arm design as opposed to the straight ones (Maybe dj influence - I don't know!)

I would appreciate all your input on this matter.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi Theunis, and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it and learn a lot and to add with it, you will have good  :ROFLMAO: sometime with all the funny stuff that will pop up.  On the Pioneer turntable, what model Pioneer is it?
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline theunis.visser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #1831 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »
Hi Theunis, and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it and learn a lot and to add with it, you will have good  sometime with all the funny stuff that will pop up.  On the Pioneer turntable, what model Pioneer is it?
Hi Gerlach.

It is a PL201z. A very basic belt drive unit.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1832 on: October 25, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
Hi Gerlach.

It is a PL201z. A very basic belt drive unit.

PL-201z  :) The Belt you can find from Turntable Guy on this forum or from Yebo electronics, The styles you can replace with a more up to date styles. The tonearm lift mechanism is like a small hydraulic system. Maybe it got dry and sticky, it's repairable.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:25:56 PM by Gerlach »

Offline theunis.visser

• AVForums Member
« Reply #1833 on: October 25, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
PL-201z  :) The Belt you can find from Turntable Guy on this forum or from Yebo electronics, The styles you can replace with a more up to date styles. The tonearm lift mechanism is like a small hydraulic system. Maybe it got dry and sticky, it's repairable.
Gerlach. Thanks for the feedback.  I sent a photo of the label. The PL number is the only logical deduction i could make on that label.  Please advise if it makes more sense to you. Here is also a photo of the front frame with the same number.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1834 on: October 26, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
Gerlach. Thanks for the feedback.  I sent a photo of the label. The PL number is the only logical deduction i could make on that label.  Please advise if it makes more sense to you. Here is also a photo of the front frame with the same number.

Morning Theunis. Sorry for the late respond, got a bit sidetrack this side. Thanks for the photos.  Give Jacques a cal. https://www.turntableguy.co.za/ He can inspect the old lady and maybe put new live back in to her  :thumbs:

Offline seanjammy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #1835 on: October 30, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
Hi all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline theunis.visser

• AVForums Member
« Reply #1836 on: October 30, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »
Morning Theunis. Sorry for the late respond, got a bit sidetrack this side. Thanks for the photos.  Give Jacques a cal. https://www.turntableguy.co.za/ He can inspect the old lady and maybe put new live back in to her  :thumbs:
Hi Gerlach: found someone here in the Northern suburbs of Cape town named Colin that says he can help me out. Tt is currently with him. Waiting for a quote. Am looking for a lid for it though....

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
My over due introduction - Louis Fourie
« Reply #1837 on: December 26, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
I have posted widely for some time now and thought I might introduce myself at some point. So I thought "Why not now?"
My first hi-fi, well, sort of, was a Nikko int. amp (can't remember power rating now but something like 20W/ch), a TT I cannot remember the name of, but it had a ceramic cart., and a set of Pioneer 'phones. Closed back, and that is where I discovered that closed back headphone sound is not the best option for me. I was staying in Stellenbosch at the time and as a member of the RCA Record Club I bought records (vinyl discs nowadays) every now and then. Expensive records, such as those from the Deutsches Gramophon Gesellschaft (DGG), went for about R10, a lot of money in those days when you could treat a girl to a bioscope, hamburgers and chips and coffee at one of the very first Spurs in the country for less than that! On the other end of the price spectrum is the album of the Seekers which I picked up at a sale for 25c in Pretoria some years later.
Once I started working in the Pretoria area, I eventually upgraded to the Marantz 1120 I still use, a pair of Adio 4 speakers – hope I have the name and model number right – which I acquired from the original Hi-Fi Installations in Pretoria CBD. It was owned and run by its founder, one Philip Myburg, and the Adio line of speakers was their proprietary product. Four way ported design and I thought they sounded great. Capable of quite a loud volume of sound driven by the Marantz. The TT I traded for a Connoisseur BD1 with an Empire 999TE/X which I still have, mounted in the Connoisseur head shell. The Connoisseur have met with an accident shortly before we moved down here and I foolishly chucked it away, but keeping the cartridge which did not sustain any damage and to the best of my knowledge is still quite usable.
A TEAC A-160 two-headed stereo cassette deck with Dolby was bought from another hi-fi shop that has ceased to exist long ago and the name of which I no longer remember. I have recorded quite a few cartridges from my own record collection, but also one or two from those owned by friends and relatives. I have been made the compliment that my recordings sounded better than store-bought ones, believe it or not. The Pioneers were eventually replaced by a set of Koss HV/1 phones – stereophones, as Koss called their headphones at the time. The right hand transducer have for some unknown reason stopped functioning a while back, but I compared them, well the left hand one, with my DT880s and ADLs the other day and I still think the Koss phones sound better than either of the new ones. Bear in mind they are ‘74 vintage and cost me R48 brand new at the time. Allowing for inflation – which was 15% during the eighties at some point – R48 would to be several thousand bucks today, I think.
The Adio speakers I sold out of hand and replaced them with pair of used AR 3a speakers, which I bought from Philip Myburg Snr himself. Their foam surrounds eventually, after more than 20 years, started to disintegrate and I packed them away after acquiring a pair of Heybrooks HB3s which I still use – until I get to replace the foam surrounds of the AR 3a’s, after which the former shall be sold. At that time I also replaced theheavy duty electrical cable I utilized for speaker cable by  proper speaker cables – not very expensive, but it does its job quite well enough. At about the same time I also bought the Thorens TD125, SME 3009 Ser II and Shure V15 type II combination to replace the Connoisseur, fitting a new stylus from JICO a month or two ago.
That is my rather long winded hi-fi history by way of introducing myself. As for personal particulars: I am a pensioner presently living in Lambert’s Bay with my wife for this last 40 year. My three children and five grandchildren all live in the Cape area, where we plan to move in the not too distant future.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."

David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Mongoose

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1838 on: December 26, 2017, 07:30:22 PM »
Hello.

You know what they say, better late than never. So here is to a 192 post count belated welcome, if that makes any sense at all  :goofy: :goofy:

PS:. gratz on the 40 years. Its truely something special, and may there be many more  :thumbs:

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #1839 on: December 26, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Hello.

You know what they say, better late than never. So here is to a 192 post count belated welcome, if that makes any sense at all  :goofy: :goofy:

PS:. gratz on the 40 years. Its truely something special, and may there be many more  :thumbs:
Thanks Mongoose, much appreciated.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."

David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.