My name is Ross. I am NEARING 30
and am a software developer based in Durban. Been building audio since the early 90's. Mainly nasty speakers back then due to lack of cash but also some amps. I once worked at a "High End" retailer here in Durban for a short time so had a bit of time to get some ear training. I was introduced to this forum tonight / this morning by Alex Dunn.
My most recent builds have been a set of Leach Low TIM Amps.
I am also in the process of building a few other things and they are all at various levels of completion. Pics of some of this stuff can be seen @ http://byrd.fotopic.net
- A PGA2311 / OPA 2227 based preamp. (Operational - still requires case)
- A set of "Infinity Dynamic" 6.5" Carbon Fibre Based Bookshelf Speakers (Complete)
- An LM3886 based power amp (Operational - still required case)
- 10 Channels of a new version of the Leach Low TIM amp designed by the Dane Jens Rasmussen (1 stereo set is Operational in Durban and one set in Capetown, Still need to assemble the rest)
- A Seas Kit - The Thor's. (The components for this were acquired mid / late last year and I purchased the necessary wood just before December shutdown. So for there has been no further progress with these. The version I will be building is not quite the Thor as it is a much larger T/L based on the theory of Martin King)
Rotel RSP-960 Processor
Marantz CD-42 CD Player
My Main Music Source - PC with EMU 1212m Sound Card.
My Main HT Source - PC NForce 2 Chipset with Analof Out into the Rotel. Video is S-Video Out of PC into Sony DRC Television.
Tannoy FX 5.1 Sub Sat System
Wharfedale Modus Bookshelves & Centre
Jamo D590's (Like the old 707's)
It is great to see that there are a few other souls in to this sort of thing and I hope to meet a few people from Durban to get a small community started. It is always interesting to see what others have done.