Introductions Thread

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! As Greg suggested, it would be cool to know who's who and what system they have (or plan on building). So let me be the first :)

My real name's Pavel, I'm in Jo'burg, and like most yuppies these days -- work in IT ;) I'm a petrolhead of note, and only recently became interested in HiFi. Always been a huge cinema and music fan so it's only natural but I never really had the funds to get nice kit. So over the last half a year or so I've been learning about HiFi and listening to various systems, and of course planning my own one.

Finally about two months ago I bought a used Denon 2105 receiver, which I was using with a PC-based DVD source and a (crappy) pair of borrowed speakers. I had to return the speakers two weeks ago so now I really have to buy something :) I also have a Sansui CD player which looks pretty decently built but I haven't had a chance to evaluate it properly - speakers were always the limiting factor.

I've listened to the B&W DM300, Wharfedale Evo's, Mordaunt-Short Avant's and out of those the B&W and Evo's are my favourites. I plan on listening to the Acoustic Energy Aegis and the Monitor Audio Bronze series and hopefully making a purchase soon. At least I've decided on a budget - I'd like to spend about 8-10k on speakers excluding the sub (for a 5-channel setup). Perhaps I should find a shop that has the Quad L series as well, been reading great things about those.

I also plan on building an HTPC to become my DVD player and music jukebox, and in the long term getting a DLP projector. No sub for now due to neighbour proximity  :oops:

Your turn now :)