Author Topic: OR Tambo's long term parking??  (Read 432 times)

Offline dolt

OR Tambo's long term parking??
« on: June 05, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »
I rarely travel. Recently, I needed to make a "quick" flight somewhere locally from ORT and when I got to the long term parking (the one that's a bit far away), it turns out it was closed down.

Is there a long term parking at ORT now? If so, where is it? I saw a sign for pre-booked. It was too late for me and I ended up going in the main parkade for 2 weeks :(

whats the process now? do you have to pre book to get lower rates, or is there another parkade thats long term that is nearby. The site maps say there is a long term next to the pre-booked section but I don't remember seeing one.

Can anyone share some wisdom?

I would be highly appreciative.
Dolt aka Resident Village Idiot

Crash Crusaders Dixon FTW

SAKYNO!!!!!!

Offline Babbalas

Re: OR Tambo's long term parking??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
Hi,

Used it last year and was a breeze, it is on the bottom floor of the parking right at the airport (previously it was off site and you had to take a shuttle to get to the airport terminals)

We used this page to book our parking before going: https://booking.airports.co.za/acsanewbooking/CarParking/CarParkingEntryPage.aspx

But it is not required to book you can just pay like normal parking.

See this for fees: https://johannesburg-airport.co.za/long-stay-parking/

Offline Babbalas

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
Looks like they make a difference between Long Term, and Long Stay parking. The long stay parking is right at that Pre-Booked section, if I remember correctly there are multiple gates, some for pre-booked and some for long stay.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
After having my wheels stolen in Cape Town International's parking, I use Uber to take me there and back.  For me it is R170 a trip, you wait 10 mins and someone else drives.   One time I had to tell the driver where to go as his GPS on his phone did not work.   

Luckily for him I live here!
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Realised the same over the Easter weekend. It was occupied but closed/blocked with a cone, or possibly "full" by the time we got there on the Friday morning... hubby almost lost it when we had to drive around the building the third time looking for another a possible entrance.   

It seems that all of the parkings are now treated equal... just getting cheaper the further away you are? landed up costing an extra R100ish, but yes over  2 weeks it will be far more.

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:20:20 PM »
OR's long term is well signposted. its undercover by the City Lodge.
I tried to book online just before I went away last month, but it couldn't get it to work, so I just took a chance and just went.
No problem parking. Left my car for 10 days and paid R620 when I came back. Bargain.
There are all sorts of "services" where your car is collected, stored, cleaned, etc, but thats not something I would do personally. NOBODY else drives my car ! ;D
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline koogs

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 07:12:07 AM »
The problem with the ORT long term parking now is that most times you cannot book online in advance as the site does not work or some other glitch and when you pitch up there the long term parking is full so you now have to go find parking elsewhere which is going to cost you more.

The offsite long term parking was supposedly being upgraded but there has been no further news on this. There was also shaded long term parking right at the entrance but this has now been changed to staff parking only.
JRiver-Marantz CD5004-NAD C372-Dynaudio DM 2/7

Kodi-Panasonic BDP270-Marantz SR6006-B & W-Velodyne SPL1000

Offline dolt

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
The problem with the ORT long term parking now is that most times you cannot book online in advance as the site does not work or some other glitch and when you pitch up there the long term parking is full so you now have to go find parking elsewhere which is going to cost you more.

The offsite long term parking was supposedly being upgraded but there has been no further news on this. There was also shaded long term parking right at the entrance but this has now been changed to staff parking only.

this was my experience now. I couldn't book, even for some time in advance. the 'long stay" parking is above the prebooked but not really much cheaper compared to the normal parkade. Works out to 130 a day and that's not cheap. If its 2 weeks then I may as well uber (from pretoria).... and the useless gautrain ISNT 24 hours....
Dolt aka Resident Village Idiot

Crash Crusaders Dixon FTW

SAKYNO!!!!!!

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
this was my experience now. I couldn't book, even for some time in advance. the 'long stay" parking is above the prebooked but not really much cheaper compared to the normal parkade. Works out to 130 a day and that's not cheap. If its 2 weeks then I may as well uber (from pretoria).... and the useless gautrain ISNT 24 hours....

See my post. I've just used it for 10 days. Ignore the prebooking page and tarrifs. It didnt work for me either. I just pitched at 3pm on a Sunday and parked.
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline legro

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 11:43:32 PM »
Going to use a valet service. They meet you at Departures, take your vehicle, meet you back at Arrivals with your vehicle. Cleaned etc etc

Just over R 700 for three weeks which sounded too good to be true but apparently the real deal.

Will ( hopefully not ) report back if things go sour....