Author Topic: RIP  (Read 120499 times)

Offline Francois

Re: RIP
« Reply #795 on: June 06, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »
Ag my goodness...no!

Man he was a nice guy, we had such fun when they stayed over here!

My deepest condolences to his family!
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #796 on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
W H A T  ! !

I read this only now -

how unreal this seems! I have never met the man, only exchanged one PM with him - still .......

First André Hanekom, now Rodney!

To the degree that this leaves a sudden void, the measure of the man is -  and will forever be

I MOURN
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Prince

« Reply #797 on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:42 AM »
  :'( :vsad:

RIP Rodney Gold - I will surely miss those times, we as a Cape Town AV Forums community, used to gather at your home, not just to catch up on just music, but the life stories and nostalgia. Thank you, for being who you were, kind, generous and a helpful person. I'm glad we had a catch up last year at your office, when I had some stainless steel mugs engraved and how we just chatted and laughed about life.

My deepest sympathies to your wife and family.

:(
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline MR.C

« Reply #798 on: June 07, 2018, 09:07:18 AM »
Reading about Rodney now, never met him or PM'd him but seemed a good guy.
Please tell me what happened, I didn't know if he was ill or anything wrong.

I think from all the members on the group, his setup and kit was best of all. I had the idea that if I were to go to CT soon, I would have prioritized a visit to his room/cave.

Please pass on best wishes and prayers to the families...

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline MR.C

« Reply #799 on: June 07, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
W H A T  ! !

I read this only now -

how unreal this seems! I have never met the man, only exchanged one PM with him - still .......

First André Hanekom, now Rodney!

To the degree that this leaves a sudden void, the measure of the man is -  and will forever be

I MOURN
I think we lost 3 members this year...

{I can help you to post pictures on your posts/ads.  PM me.}

I can help you to post pics for your ads.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #800 on: June 07, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
I wonder if you guys have read the original post dedicated to Rodney Gold...

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,71946.0.html

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #801 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »
That was the essence of the man : he never ever complained or let know openly of all the ailments that he has endured through the years. Rodney has been a diabetic for years and had part of big toe removed and suffered some related complications recently; he had a four way bypass in the last year or so, had a back op a few months ago and in the last month or so was diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer's [ picked up by shaking/tremors in his hands].

Rodney passed on from what seems like heart failure and this has come from our close personal friend whom is a doctor [ Rodney bought his house from him and he is also hifi/music aficionado, he is not a forumite] and lives a few streets away from him and was one of the first people contacted.

Rodney had his off days but was mostly very positive in attitude and he surely enjoyed the moments where and when he got the most pleasure.

He was a kind soul, a remarkable man and will be sorely missed.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Chingy

« Reply #802 on: June 07, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
I remember fondly when he started with the upgrade Vivid, I came to he's place to drop off a Sony ES Tuner for Eric, was in the passenger seat of the Corvette going up North, and it took a ride with

He's love for cars, V8's, and the fact that he enjoyed them to the full, :) made , fast is not fast if it's not in a V8,

I was welcomed inside and stayed for a long time, gave me the good chair :groovy: , and we spoke about lasers, 3D printing , and it was good.

He really was a ,  mans man, and always will be missed

"Swam of Subs"

Regards and God Bless

Craig
VA BW Pre, Tannoy Chevoits,Linn Kann, on Linn Stands,
Power trio (guitar, bass, and drums)

Offline pado1

« Reply #803 on: June 19, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting the man but i could get a sense of his Good Character through his posts/Comments/feedback to the others of the forum. These are the kind of people you want to have within your circle and he will be surely missed by all that knew him. RIP Rodney.

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #804 on: June 20, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »
My second contribution:

It does not pass - does it!

We did not 'share' many posts, and to be honest: On occasion we were on opposite different sides of a matter. My scientific approach seemed to him to be short on reality. Yet, while disagreeing, he expressed the desire to meet me some day - and his post seemed to contain respect.

For that I honour him, despite perhaps having had different approaches. I will always remember the photo of him standing by one of his cars, with Ruth in the photo, wearing her 'tutu'.

So again, and after all these posts: I am the poorer for not having met him - and will feel that every time his name comes up.

Think I have suggested before: Will somebody kindly gather all these posts in a single file and present it to Ruth and Gabriella:

It is the least we can do -
It is such a small portion of the most that he deserves.

Still mourning here - un-met friend!
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Red Baron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • waiting for the wireless winch...
« Reply #805 on: June 21, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
Only read about Rodney now...had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman and enjoyed his newly released flame-orange Vivid Audios... Ohh what pleasure it was to learn about his love for speed and the V8s...

Here's to a true Audio Gentleman - I salute you sir... :dop:

Condolences to his family and friends and all here on the Forum...
 :'(
Et Vidi...
MYRYAD MI 240; CASTLE Harlech S1; InterAudio Alpha 1; KLIPSCH Quintet III & SW10; NAKAMICHI MB 5 CD Player, SONY DBP - S360;QED QNECT 2, MONSTER Interconnect; CABLE TALK Speaker cable, MONSTER Speaker Cables

Offline Tonyb

« Reply #806 on: June 22, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
Jon Hiseman, drummer for Colosseum amongst others, died on 12 th June.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/death-jon-hiseman-drummer-colosseum/

An amateur practices until he gets it right.
A professional practices until he never gets it wrong.

Offline Qualityten

« Reply #807 on: June 23, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »
Belatedly, I would also like to record my sadness at reading of the death of Andre Hanekom, aka Skollie.  We never met, but exchanged a number of friendly messages over the years on this and LencoHeaven. 

A lifelong audiophile, who bore the big losses of his latter years with dignity and humour.  I'm sorry I'll never have the chance to meet him in person.   

Offline xenithon

« Reply #808 on: June 24, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »

Offline Lance

« Reply #809 on: June 24, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Good by Rodney, RIP!

Loved Rodney's sense of humour, how he enjoyed winding-up the forum guys for fun!, his willingness to help. He took me for a drag in one of his V8's a long time ago.

Always a shock to hear of someone you know passing, we were communicating just a couple of weeks before.

Lance.