Author Topic: Bentley FS110 or Yamaha NS-F500?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Trompie67

Bentley FS110 or Yamaha NS-F500?
« on: May 24, 2019, 06:00:37 AM »
Looking for a set of entry level floorstanders.

Both the Bentley & Yamaha have resented themselves as options - demo units around R5k.

They will be driven by a Yamaha A-S501 Integrated amp: https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s501/index.html

Bentley Specs:

System Type - 2.5 way vented reflex
Power Handling  - 10 - 140 W
Impedence  - 6 Ohm
Frequency response  - 45Hz - 30KHz
Sensitivity  - 89db
Driver configuration  - 2 x 6" Aluminium Magnesium MidBass &1 x 1" Soft dome tweeter
Weight (each)  - 15Kg
Dimensions  - 200 x 262 x 850

Link:https://www.audicoonline.co.za/Bentley-Acoustics-FS110-Floorstanding-Speakers
http://www.bentleyacoustics.com/index.php/component/k2/item/21-fs110-speakers

Yamaha Specs:

Type - 3-Way Bass-Reflex Floor-Standing Speaker System
Woofers1 x 16cm Advanced PMD cone
MidRange Driver 1 x 13cm Advanced PMD Cone Type
Tweeter 1 x 3cm aluminium dome with DC-Diaphragm™
Frequency Response   40 Hz-50 kHz
Nominal Input Power   40 W
Maximum Input Power   160 W
Sensitivity   88 dB
Crossover Frequencies   580Hz, 4.1 kHz
Impedance   6 ohms
Dimensions (W x H x D)   224 x 981 x 349 mm
Weight   19.1 kg/unit

Link: http://www.hifiinstallations.co.za/Yamaha-NS-F500
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-f500/index.html

Thoughts, opinions, alternatives?

I am leaning to the Yamaha, as I would think they'll match better with the amp?
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline randomguy

Re: Bentley FS110 or Yamaha NS-F500?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 06:50:01 AM »
I demoed the Yamaha's about a month ago.

Could have been the room, but I didn't think they sounded anywhere nearly as good as they looked. Had a "pleasing" overall sound I guess, but I didn't think they resolved a great amount of detail.

I've sadly never heard any of the Bentley stuff, but hoping that may change soon :)

Offline Toxxyc

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »
Having experienced the Bentley's a few times, those are the ones I'll take.  They punch above their price class, and if you get a demo unit that's marked down even further...  WIN!

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »
I have not heard the NS 500, but having heard the stable of Bentley's & having owned the bookshelves & traded them up to now the 120's & also having the 150's service my Home theatre, I would look at the Bentley's.
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline kalith

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »
I have never been that impressed with the entry level yamaha speakers.
I have heard the Bentley 120 and 150 and they were really good for the price point.

I would lean towards the Bentley's personally.

Offline LouisF

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
But you have to listen to both. Side-by-side may not be possible, but if you could take your amp along and audition both, that would help you decide. Although the effects of the different listening rooms might upset the apple cart.
My  :2c:
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

"Modern hi-fi is little more than a way of getting electricity to pretend that it's music."
Art Dudley, Stereophile

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 01:05:33 PM »
So I went & listened to them both this morning. Listened to the same track (Dire Straits - Telegraph Road) on all of them. Plus some other tracks that are my most frequently played that I know well.

I am no reviewer, and my prose is not particularly poetic or filled with complex terminology, so please bear with me as I relate my experience & feelings about this.

The Bentleys were hooked up to an Anthem STR Pre & Power.  :drool:

They sounded OK, but not significantly better than my current Boston A26 bookshelves to be honest.  Certainly not approx R6k better (at normal retail price for both of them). Bass got woolly & loose, especially at high volumes where it sounded uncontrolled, just a flabby noise like a sub turned up waaay too high. Mids were great, clear and forward - certainly the highlight of the FS110's for me. Highs were a bit shrill, they didn't enjoy the piano notes much. Listening to Beethoven's Triple Concerto at anything above moderate volume would I fear be ear shattering.
I called it quits halfway through the Telegraph Road track, these are simply not to my taste and liking. I tried Egmont overture & as soon as the volume was raised they could not cope with the low notes. Never even tried Rammstein or Five Finger Death Punch - it will utterly destroy them.
I was really disappointed, as there has been so much hype over this brand. Perhaps because of the hype my expectations were just set too high.

The Yamaha's were hooked up to a Yamaha A-S501 Integrated, which is what I will be hooking them up to & am using at present.

They were a big improvement on the Bentley's. Bass, whilst not as deep, was tight, no woolly bully at all. Mids were good, not as forward as the FS110's, highs were better, not as shrill. The piano notes were clean and sharp. I really enjoyed these speakers and listened to a few other tracks as well - they coped with Ohne Dich pretty well without the bass falling to pieces, Egmont overture needed the bass to go lower & deeper, but the speakers did not get flustered, they simply couldn't go as low as I prefer. FFDP's Wrong Side of Heaven again highlighted the controlled but not deep enough bass.

Imaging & soundstage was won by the Yamaha's. Construction & finish on the Yamaha's is light years ahead of the Bentley's. They look & feel like a premium product. As the saying goes: "Image is everything"!  :ROFLMAO:

At the same price point (both demo units in this case) for the Yamaha & Bentley's the Yamaha's win hands down. They were a hand in my pocket to get the wallet moment away from coming home.

Then a curve ball was sent my way.

Paradigm Monitor 7's. These were also hooked up to the Anthem STR Pre & Power combo.

Incredible midrange. Clear, clean, pure. Sufficient bass - more than either of the others. Tight and controlled. Amazing imaging & soundstage, they seemed to vanish in the room. They took Telegraph Road, Wrong Side of Heaven, Triple Concerto & Du Hast without breaking a sweat. The highs are not as smooth as the Yamaha, but not as harsh as the Bentley, somewhere in between.

They are coming home to trial as a demo for a week  :clap: - specifically because my office is not anywhere near as dead as the listening room, I have tiled floors (vs thick carpets), a sloping roof & the entire room is open on one side. I have some concerns about the highs being a little harsh, so by agreement I'll trial them for a few days.

As always, your opinions may well differ to mine!  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:07:57 PM by Trompie67 »
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline randomguy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »
Great feedback and glad you went and demoed them all :D

Online FranZAR

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
You can ofcourse explore the other made in SA option. Very satisfied with them...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Resident Troll - You gotta pay the troll toll
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
Not easy coming from good Boston speakers. Very few can satisfy your ear once you’ve become accustomed to the Boston sound.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 10:38:11 PM »
You can ofcourse explore the other made in SA option. Very satisfied with them...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

These are brilliant speakers, I've heard them paired with a VA Exclame 150 and a couple of NAD power amps. Not bass heavy speakers, but they have just enough bass and it's really well controlled. Mids and highs are really good on these.
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline Stanp

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 10:43:34 PM »
If I only had the specs to go by, I would have chosen the Yamaha, reason being the better bass extension. I have not heard either of them. I like Paradigm; excellent value for the money. I have owned a few pairs of Paradigm; the last pair that I owned was the Studio 60 v5- enjoyed them a lot. My first pair was the Monitor 9's.

The metal dome tweeters can be a little bright, but have amazing clarity. The Studio 60's use a Gold-Anodized Pure-Aluminium  dome tweeter. I remember when I first listened to the Celine Dion concert where it starts with a big pane of glass shattering; I jumped as it sounded like a real pane of glass shattering. Their sound stage and imaging was good too. Not the best bass extension though- but good enough. They could play loud too.

Well, I hope you found what you were looking for

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 06:44:36 AM »
Like i have said before the fs110 is a bit of a hit and miss. Rather go Fr100 or go strait to the Fs120 and 150.

Yamaha has never made a speaker i liked.

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »
The FS110 issues were addressed a few months ago and are now a full 3 way not the 2.5 way anymore. Huge improvement over the previous 2.5way models.
you are welcome to come listen to them at my place, they are much better. Using single 6" bass driver and dedicated 5'mid + tweeter.

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
Out of interest sake, where did you demo them?