Author Topic: Kodi and Tidal does not work ?  (Read 635 times)

Offline ALF

Kodi and Tidal does not work ?
« on: May 23, 2019, 11:15:22 AM »
Finally I am moving from CD`s to streaming music via Tidal and I love it, I sit with a problem I am running Kodi on MacBook and it works perfect for local storage and I add Tidal as an add on for streaming services. If I open Tidal I can view my music and can browse albums and track but the moment I select to play a song then Kodi shutdown with an error, for the last few days I tried everything like clean OS install, updates new Kodi and Tidal plugins but still close down the moment I select play.
Does anybody experience this or what else can I use instead of Kodi that allow me to use my phone as remote as with Kodi ?
"the fostex thang".....

Offline entropyagent

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!
Re: Kodi and Tidal does not work ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »

what else can I use instead of Kodi that allow me to use my phone as remote as with Kodi ?

I have not tried this on a rotary-dial phone, but when I searched for "kodi" in my Android's Play Store, I was able to install "Kore, Official Remote for Kodi" by the "XBMC Foundation", and "Yatse: Kodi remote control and cast" by "Tolriq", Both were 'free' and seem to work OK, though have I have used Yatse only a little because it sometimes reminds me that there is a "full application" that I could pay for.

On my oldish iPad, I found "Official Kodi Remote" from "joethefox", who seems to be mentioned on  https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/aiak9q/is_this_actually_official_i_assume_not_but_is_it/  as being a person of substance, once upon a time. It also does the deed so far, and was "free". That thread does also mention some alternatives and possible support resources, e.g. reddit and forum.kodi.tv? I have, so far, by the grace, not needed to ask any questions there.

I just remoted into the desktop and ran a track from there without any crashings. So....from my exhaustive research and extensive experience (over the last few weeks) I conclude that your experiences are null and void, and you are obviously imagining the problem. (Am I Internetting right?)

Beware, if you ask for help on the fora, you will probably need lots of detail - OS and SW versions, usually?

Good luck!

P.S. I should mention I have never tried streaming. Maybe one day.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:43:32 PM by entropyagent »

Offline ALF

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:23:00 PM »
Ok let me ask from another angle, does anybody use Tidal via Kodi on a Mac and does it work ?
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
Ok let me ask from another angle, does anybody use Tidal via Kodi on a Mac and does it work ?

What version of the song are you playing i.e. is it a standard 16/44 version or a hi-res version (i.e. MQA or 24/96 etc)
Kodi can't unfold MQA (Tidal Masters) and I doubt it can handle hi-res files.
Also remember that OSX does not auto switch output resolution and you need something like bitperfect running in the background to do it.

Download Roon, you get 7 days trial for free. Integrate Tidal into that and test it.

PS, I do go to Stb on a regular basis for work. If you need help I'm more than happy to pop around sometime.

Offline kolakidd

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 07:23:37 AM »
what else can I use instead of Kodi that allow me to use my phone as remote as with Kodi ?

Audirvana will handle your local hi-res audio and does Tidal MQA, and it also has a great remote for IOS. Itís built specifically to maximize macís audio path with great configuration options, and it costs about 10% of Roon (Iím not knocking Roon here, it just is pricey).

Offline ron g

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 04:03:52 PM »

i had a similar problem with an android based dap. could see music, search, etc. - just no playback.

turned out i had somehow de-authorised the device in tidal.

not sure exactly how i fixed the problem though.
is it just me or have bitcoin people gone a bitquiet because its a bitdown? #bitter

Offline ALF

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »
Just an update, I dumped Kodi due to lack of success on Apple OS due to Tidal that crash when playing music but works perfect on my Windows pc.
I decided on Volumio paid version with the Tidal plugin and remote options and o man  :facepalm: what a disaster interface when using Tidal and local files. Play buttons works when it wants to, play only single track at a time, volume get stuck at random places and list goes on so for an purchase player this is not good.

Its a real pity that Tidal app does not have its own remote option like Kodi and Volumio
"the fostex thang".....

Offline kolakidd

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:32:27 PM »
Try Audirvana, I think they have a demo, if they donít PM me and I will send you a link.