Author Topic: Bookshelf Speaker Stands Spikes Top and Bottom or not...  (Read 1827 times)

Offline chrisflex

Bookshelf Speaker Stands Spikes Top and Bottom or not...
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »
I am in the process of sorting stands for my KEF R300's size 210 x 310 mm

I have a set of B&W Stav 24 stands which I thought I could just add granite plinths to top and bottom.

The question now is what is the best practice ito spikes

Spikes for the floor for sure but what about the top?

Mammoth Granite will cut the granite plinths to size and drilling holes in the plinths is included in the price.

I have these spikes and rubber feet.

"you're welfare is a hulluva lot more important and the music is, than a dollar." Chip Monck

Woodstock 69

Online dan duette

Re: Bookshelf Speaker Stands Spikes Top and Bottom or not...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »
My two cents worth, B&W speakers have a metal baseplate with threaded holes so the speaker actually gets bolted to the stand making it one piece. Based on this I would say bluetac the speaker to the top plate, don't use spikes. As for the bottom spikes are OK. On tiled floors use those spike shoes as spikes can dig into the grout between tiles when you try and position them. Lastly, fill the stands with your choice of filler. Some say dry playpen sand, others cat sand, I actually used cheap short grain rice (R70 odd for 10 kilo's from Makro). Filling the stands can make a dramatic change to the way the speaker produces bass, try it, you'll like it :thumbs:

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
I have these stands filled with sand.

The foot and platform are still quite a bit smaller than the speaker.

I keep thinking the the setup is a bit top heavy granite would give me better stability.

The question remains what to do where the speakers make contact with the stand?

Spikes, rubber feet or do I just place the speaker flat on top of the granite?
"you're welfare is a hulluva lot more important and the music is, than a dollar." Chip Monck

Woodstock 69

Online dan duette

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:50:50 PM »
As I said just bluetac or prestik the speaker to the top plate. You'll be surprised how firmly it adheres the lot together.

Offline naughty

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:53 PM »
As I said just bluetac or prestik the speaker to the top plate. You'll be surprised how firmly it adheres the lot together.

this is a better idea than spikes on the top IMHO because with spikes on the top you will drop the speaker almost each time you brush past it - with the prestik affixing the speaker to the stand it functions as if it is one larger enclosure (like a floorstander) in other words the speaker and stand seem as if they are just one piece of equipment instead of being something on top of something else

the spikes at the bottom serve to couple or decouple the speaker from the actual ground that it stands on - so you dont need more spikes for that purpose - you want to actually affix the speaker to the stand so that the speaker wont topple and fall over while the stand is still standing normally

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 01:57:21 PM »
It looks like Prestik is the way to go then.

Woodstock 69

Offline Nidri

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:11:49 PM »
Just one thing to remember if you go the Prestik route (which I also recommend btw):
If/when you remove the speakers from the top plate at some later stage, gently twist/rotate the speakers to loosen them (as opposed to pulling them upwards and away from the stand. This to avoid the risk of damaging the veneer.
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:53:39 PM »
Cutting with fish gut is another way of breaking the bond of Prestik and double sided tape.

In a very high res system on bespoke stands  spikes top and bottom can sound a little better but in a typical domestic environment the risk isnít worth it. 

Though I do wonder what would happen with a spike surrounded by prestik.... may be best of both. 
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline PAPPA3

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »
I'd only put granite on the bases, never the tops, else too top heavy (unless you have heavier bases.  But it would be overkill)

Then fill with dry sand/grit - rice is a nice idea.  My stands are filled with lead shot - they were manufactured that way.  they weigh about 25-30kg per stand

Fix speaker to stand if possible.  Either bolts or prestik.  With Prestik it can leak into the speaker surface after a while.  Spikes are nice but very risky unless you can control access to the speaker

Definitely spikes or rubbers to decouple stands from the floor

Offline Katji

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »
Spikes couple, rubber or iso-whatever decouples.

("Correct me if I'm wrong."  Maybe we can sort out the audiophilery from the audio-physics. - Somewhat.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:56:38 PM by Katji »

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 06:32:11 AM »
Spikes need to be adjustable

Problem is how to fix the spikes or rubber feet to granite.

Some kind of treaded insert...

Woodstock 69

Offline kritzingerf

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »
Prestic is a good idea, but remember that prestick is slightly oily, and it will definitely eventually affect the veneer...

What I have used, that works just as well, is the small rubber feet from the hardware store.   It is a pack with about 24 or so round gummy rubber buttons.   They have a sticky side, and a sooth side.
I stuck them on the stand, then placed my speakers.  they are super grippy, and after a couple of days, the speaker sticks.  it is not permanent, but really surprisingly secure.

My stand tops were cut to be about 5mm smaller that the base of the speaker, so I stuck the gummy buttons right in each corner.

it is cheap enough... give it a try and listen.   if you dont like it, you can always just remove and try something else... same for the prestick

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
I am slowly getting closer to sorting the details of the stands

The next issue is fixing the spikes to the granite.

I thinking of using a threaded insert and attaching the spikes to those.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a glue or epoxy to attach steel to granite?

Gravity should do most of the job if I insert the threaded inserts from the bottom.

Woodstock 69

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »

Or

Woodstock 69

Offline rw2000

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
What I have used, that works just as well, is the small rubber feet from the hardware store.   It is a pack with about 24 or so round gummy rubber buttons.   They have a sticky side, and a sooth side.
I stuck them on the stand, then placed my speakers.  they are super grippy, and after a couple of days, the speaker sticks.  it is not permanent, but really surprisingly secure.

Prestic / Bluetac has been my product of choice but definitely going to try the rubber buttons - Thx for the tip