Big cartridges

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
It was 1991. After more than decade of audio life spent with detailed ,refined and oh so civilised cartridges, mainly from Audio Technica,various Dynavectors and the Shure Ultra 500, I heard an EMT.  That EMT van den Hullabaloos painted huge aural pictures with a broad brush, bass thundered, highs shimmered and dynamics bloomed and bloomed till you felt the musical reproduction would crush the listener. More impressionist than realist, that cart nevertheless made music sound real even if the finer detail were maybe not so well explored.

I was on a mission,I found "my" sound. Musical reproduction should be big, bold and filled with the joys of life. Over the years I have  now finally managed to get all the cartridges on my bucket list. The final edition of a mint vintage Ortofon SPU AE  has completed the journey- well almost. One is missing and likely to be forever-the near legendary Neumann. Our late Skollie was on mission to recreate the legend (just like he did with the EMT ) but sadly died before he finished that project.

So here they are with gap for you-know- what. Fidelity Research FR7,EMT TSD 15 SFL, Ortofon SPU AE, Koetsu Onyx, Denon DL103

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 13.00.45 by jdza, on Flickr

IMG_0273 by jdza, on Flickr

Latest posts