Author Topic: B&W factory tour  (Read 324 times)

Offline Jaws

B&W factory tour
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/8RIbYVSB48Q

This pop up in my YouTube feed. Pretty cool to watch

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline AudioMule

Re: B&W factory tour
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »
https://youtu.be/8RIbYVSB48Q

This pop up in my YouTube feed. Pretty cool to watch

JAWS..... Behave.. :dance: it suddenly pops after the 4 days 9 rounds match? Donít start  ;D
There's nothing wrong with your system, you are just listening to wrong music on it.

Offline rakumatr

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:55 PM »
The engineering that goes into the speakers and the manufacuting equipment  used will make you understand why they charge the prices they do for their products -  High tech products manufactured in high tech facilities.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

"If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die."
 - Twelfth Night Act 1, scene 1, 1Ė3

Offline Baseline

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »
Very interesting indeed and deserving of much respect. One wonders though, if you were to apply all the techniques and manufacturing methods as depicted, but were to use a less powerful magnet combined with a lighter speaker cone, would you be able to achieve similar sonic results and be able to achieve it without the need for such powerful amplifiers. I assume the reason behind needing 250+ quality watts to get B&W 802 speakers to sing, is due to the weight of the Kevlar cones and working against the strength of the magnets. Many other companies also design simpler, less power draining crossovers to achieve a similar result. After all, simply splitting the frequencies to be sent to the individual drivers should not be that complicated nor that power intensive.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
The engineering that goes into the speakers and the manufacuting equipment  used will make you understand why they charge the prices they do for their products -  High tech products manufactured in high tech facilities.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

There is no way you can make me understand how 50k worth of drivers and xo then add a max of 4 sheets mdf and cnc cost and then farnish or paint so lets say 100k all in...Then charge 500k,,,come on :cr@p:

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
There is no way you can make me understand how 50k worth of drivers and xo then add a max of 4 sheets mdf and cnc cost and then farnish or paint so lets say 100k all in...Then charge 500k,,,come on :cr@p:
It's the unique proprietary "tweeter on top technology" that accounts for the difference :giggle:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
It's the unique proprietary "tweeter on top technology" that accounts for the difference :giggle:

Must be and the titanium screws holding them down on to the moon dust anti vibration diffuses.

Offline Baseline

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »

It is unfortunately not quite so simple a calculation for us here in SA. The Rand / Dollar exchange throws things way out of kilter and to that you have to add shipping, import duties and local dealer markups. The price abroad ranges from $16,000 for the 802 original series and goes up to $22,000 for the 802 D3. When you take those figures into consideration along with the average earnings in Dollars of folk abroad, the disparity between input cost and retail price does not appear quite as drastic. As always, you are paying a premium for a top end product name like Mercedes, Porsche etc.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline AudioMule

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »

Iíve been asking myself the same question... what are we paying for.... maybe the art. BUT still
There's nothing wrong with your system, you are just listening to wrong music on it.

Offline Katji

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »
It's just that marketing/etc. can be extended to maximise profits.

...Marketing...developing perceptions of value and desireability, allowing for premium prices,...effective distribution system/s.....and higher profits means higher salaries for executives and directors and investors.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 02:59:46 PM »

x5 is a very normal, and even low, factor of materials vs. final resale price. If you're in the business and not in that ballpark you're probably not sustainable.

Offline royj

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
  • "You only live once"
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »
In the US they also pay freight, import duties , sales tax etc.

Their Dealers also add on their profit margins. In theory we should be paying the converted sum in rands.

In SA I have only come across 3 dealers whose prices is comparable to the converted sum and in some instances even cheaper than their overseas counterparts.

" Life is too short for mediocre sound"

Offline Jaws

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 03:35:45 PM »
Excellent seems like you have all figured out then. Imagine if you start manufacturing speakers locally with all that tech (or even better) and reselling it for 1/5th of the price you will literally take over their market share overnight.

Added bonus if the cheaper speaker can look and sound better as well.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 05:09:22 PM »
Excellent seems like you have all figured out then. Imagine if you start manufacturing speakers locally with all that tech (or even better) and reselling it for 1/5th of the price you will literally take over their market share overnight.

Added bonus if the cheaper speaker can look and sound better as well.

:BANDW: