Author Topic: Pc vs Blu-ray Player As Source  (Read 272 times)

Offline stereosane

Pc vs Blu-ray Player As Source
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:49:20 AM »
Hi Guys

So I recently went from using my Blu-ray player to using my Computer as a source, I'm using a Nuprime Udsd as my Dac.

Problem is since I've made this change my system is not on the same level, there's just something not the same and I can't quite put my finger on why, one clear thing missing is the intense imaging I used to get when using the BD player via Coax, now using the computer via USB it sounds softer, a bit more veiled and just lacks some air and sparkle.. I've got 6 pluggins to choice from and from what I've read Wasapi is the one to choice. I have the 6 pluggins, different modes of Wasapi, Direct Sound and Windows default, when flicking through the different pluggins I can hear a clear difference, the one rolls off the highs the other adds more treble and the other one sounds phasey with a perceived bigger Soundstage but less focus.. Is there a plugging that just allows straight pass through of the digital signal, they all sound so different and I can't decide which is better or bit perfect.

Is this normal when using a Pc as a source, at first I thought it was the Nuprime Dac, but from my reading the Nuprime Dac is a decent performer so the only thing left is the Pc. I'm thinking of just getting a Blu-ray player again as my source..

Online ron g

Re: Pc vs Blu-ray Player As Source
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »

perhaps usb noise?
how are you powering the udsd? if you are just using a usb cable for signal & power you can pick up problems with noise.
hiphibian / croak makes splitters, which pick up the signal only from the pc, & power from an external source such as a cellphone or a powerbank.

going to one of these cables made a significant improvement for me, but others have reported less of an improvement, so possibly usb ports are not all equal.

& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline stereosane

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
 I'm powering it through a powered USB hub, I felt it Def improved things. I guess my pc isn't really setup correctly for sound.

Offline BiZKiT

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »
For me nothing beats a BR player. I have tried them all :2c:

Offline msch997

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »
Hi I have been using a HTPC for close to 3 years now.  All my Blu Rays are ripped to that PC, I tend to use a direct copy though to keep menus intact <MakeMKV and PavTube ByteCopy are the tools I use>.  I play the Blu Rays from the PC via HDMI using Kodi with PowerDVD as a Kodi external player.  PC goes into a Onkyo AVR via HDMI. PowerDVD tends to have less hassle with BluRay menus and has settings to add punch to the picture if you in that mood (Dedicated Blu Ray players often add that punch themselves as default settings, my dedicated Blu Ray player is an Oppo which has remained idle now since I got the PC working, it definitely adds sparkle and punch and does not play the video totally untouched).  The main reason though for using powerDVD though is the BluRay menus support.  I like concert Blu Rays, so you are often switching songs etc.

The key with sound is to configure your PC that it passes through the audio to the AVR rather than decoding the audio itself.  Thus Kodi is also configured for pass through, power DVD is also configured for audio pass through as are the sound settings on the PC.   I use the Windows 10 WASAPI drivers all the time as those in effect are passthrough, ie less of the computer operating system influence.  But there is some config around it as well.  I can send you screenshots or pictures if you wish as to how I have it my WASAPI setup.  Direct Sound means the PC is doing some decoding.  Realtek drivers the same, not pass through.

To test its working I play for example a Dolby TrueHD/ Atmos disk, and the AVR has a remote info button where it shows the source audio channel and the source video channel. So  hitting that remote info button while the Blu Ray is playing, if it shows Dolby TrueHD/ Atmos as the source then I know pass through from the PC to the AVR is untouched.  And I should get the sound quality I wish.

Important that the HD Windows sound drivers are up to date though and sometimes Windows update screws it all up.  So yes it can be a PITA.  I forgot to mention I have a Nvidia Graphics card n the PC, and that handles the audio and video for me, I do not use the Intel processor on board graphics or audio, although you can.  And NVidia updates can suddenly cause a degradation in sound that sometimes the next update fixes.  After Windows updates though I tend to reinstall all the Nvidia drivers as a refresh.

As I say can be a bit of a PITA.  But flexibility is great.  the same machine is a roon endpoint, the same machine is a Youtube machine etc.

It's a good idea also if you are critical to switch off as many background processes in the PC when watching, they can add noise, ie stop your roon server, stop your ransomware, or antivirus if they are working real time as they always do.  Stop services that are running that are not needed, maybe get the PC into another room away from the AVR and all other HiFi gear., I am exploring HDMI over ethernet at the moment to see if I can do that.  Dirty Power also can add noise.  The old LPS vs Switching Power Supply debate.

Offline stereosane

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 12:31:00 PM »
 Thanks, if you could post a screens hot of those settings I'd appreciate it.

I've got the pluggin option of Wasapi Nuprime Udsd but it doesn't sound right, I thought it would be the default one to use

Offline msch997

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 01:06:00 PM »
Thanks, if you could post a screens hot of those settings I'd appreciate it.

I've got the pluggin option of Wasapi Nuprime Udsd but it doesn't sound right, I thought it would be the default one to use

What are you trying to do though?  Maybe I should understand that first.

What I did was replace my BluRay player HDMI source into my AVR for playing movies in surround sound,  with a PC source.  So I try pass the audio  to the AVR untouched just like a BluRay player does and use the video rendering in Kodi/ Powerdvd in combination with the Nvidia graphics card for the picture rather than the chip in the BluRay player.  The AVR DACS etc take over after that for sound.

For stereo ie Roon I do not do stereo over HDMI or use WASAPI.  There I use a Network player (sOTM) , and the USB DAC plugs into the sOTM.  The audio chain for stereo is PC>Ethernet>sOTM> USB DAC>Preamp/Amp>speakers.  One of my Roon endpoints actually is my AVR and in that case it is stereo over HDMI and the sOTM is bypassed and the DACS in the AVR are used.  But that setup leaves a lot to be desired versus the ethernet/ network player scenario.

For BluRay  movies (7.2.1 or 5.2.2) which is the setup I detailed earlier, the chain is PC>HDMI>AVR and Amp/Preamp>speakers.  I find that comparable to BluRay movies over the Oppo BDP 93.  or as close to dammit as not to be an issue. 

Offline stereosane

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
Okay, I've made my mind up.. I'm selling the Nuprime Dac and going back to a BD via external Dac as my source, the Pc route needs to much tweaking for me right now especially for a 2nd system..

Offline msch997

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 05:10:31 PM »
Okay, I've made my mind up.. I'm selling the Nuprime Dac and going back to a BD via external Dac as my source, the Pc route needs to much tweaking for me right now especially for a 2nd system..

Understood, if you go back to PC at some stage in the future, drop me a line and I will share the tweaks.  But yes its not as plug and play as  its made out to be.

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »
My internet bandwidth for this month is used up otherwise I would have shown you how to get best results out of your uDSD but I see it's already on hold so it would have been a moot point now

Offline stereosane

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I wouldve liked to tweak just to see how much better I could get it but I'll leave that for another adventure in Pc based audio, for now I'm excited to get another Dac and back to my old way of doing it  :dance:

Offline Sabreme

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Interesting read.

How would you apply this connection to an existing Creative Sound Card which doesn't haven an HDMI port ?

(its currently using the Optical out and optical input into the Amp)