Author Topic: Mamas Pies  (Read 571 times)

Offline Wim

Re: Mamas Pies
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »
I don't think Mama's Pies are close to the same quality they were many years ago. Then again they may have only been delicious because they were enjoyed after a night out with my mates :dop:

If I have a craving nowadays I like buying from local tuisnewerehede. Homemade, and more often than not they're quite tasty.

Our weapon of choice was the trusty Bimbo's chilli burger, guaranteed to make you regret the night before even more the next day. If not available you would revert to the garage pie. Both equally terrible choices!

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »
Our weapon of choice was the trusty Bimbo's chilli burger, guaranteed to make you regret the night before even more the next day. If not available you would revert to the garage pie. Both equally terrible choices!

Yup. In the '80's there was Bimbos in Highlands North that was a regular stop after a party in town/Hillbrow. In the '90's & early 2000's there was Bimbos at the Engen on Rivonia Road that was a quick detour off the highway heading home from Hurricanes & others! Bimbos Chili Burger was THE BOMB!  :BWAHAHAH:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »
+1 for pies from the Peregrine farm stall.

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
Spar has a new range of pies which i found great for about the same price or less as woolies pies

https://senthy.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/review-mccoy-pies-bluff-superspar-tops-and-pharmacy-884-bluff-road/

In the cape (somerset west lions square) spar carries hoewhoek inn pies. Eg Venison. These sre really great pies but not quite to my taste. Too much meat not enough gravy.

There is also the Foodbarn Deli in noordhoek farm village. Eg Red wine and pork pies. This is an offshoot of the Foodbarn resturaunt run by frenchman Franck Dangereux
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:51:44 PM by The Godfather »

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »
Sadly for me the way the one guy at work puts it is true.

Jus, ej is lis vir n Rennies, ek gaan somer a pie gaan koop

Offline Larry

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

A good pie here in Cape Town can be found at Peregrine's on the other side of Sir Lowry's Pass just before the Grabouw intersection.

http://peregrinefarmstall.co.za

Hell yeah

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »
I am not a pie fundy, remembering my younger days, nothing beat a Shell pie after a good jol with a half liter of milk. These days I like the pies from the coffee shop/deli at Plattekloof Village (Cape Town) just at the right of the Pick a Pay entrance. Sorry, I do not know what the shop is called. They make a mean curry mince pie. If you are in the area, give them a try.

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »
There is an Austrian-run butchery-deli in Victoria Road in Southfield.   Not an upmarket area at all, but the new owner who took over 18 months ago provides the most delicious pies, crusty rolls and is slowly getting a name for quality food

This picture of the shop, Werda Butchery, seems to have been taken on a Sunday, hence the lack of traffic

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Adagio

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • "Keep your coins, I want Change"
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 06:54:22 AM »

What about Shamrock pies? All my friends from the Eastern Cape rave about them.

https://www.shamrockpies.co.za/

Can confirm that Shamrock bake good quality and very tasty pies, that were indeed limited in distribution to the Eastern Cape, from the Shamrock bakery there many years ago.

About 2 years back, Shamrock opened up a small kiosk shop in the main Pick ‘n Pay Centre on Merrimen Avenue in Stellenbosch.

I chatted to the kiosk attendant one day, whilst buying a pie and she explained the pies get baked in the Eastern Cape bakery as per usual and then get deep frozen and transported via cold chain down to Stellenbosch on a weekly basis.
When they arrive at the store, they are slowly thawed and then carefully re-heated down here in the Western Cape.

As a non-pie eating person originally from the Eastern Cape, i reminisce and enjoy one of these about once a year, - all that is missing is the Friesland milkshake (from Eastern Beach/Quigney) in East London who also still exist 30 years later!

The ultimate home made pie i have eaten however, was at Selbourne Park Golf Course’s halfway house on the 9th hole, which is served with a delicious gravy.
My best friends father was a founding member at Selbourne Park (30 years ago) and each Saturday we would tee off after the weekly competition and always had their home baked steak and kidney pie smothered in their delicious gravy.

Occasionally, President De Klerk would also play in the golf competition (he plays golf left handed) and once accidentally entered my shower cubicle after the golf competition thinking it was empty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 08:41:24 AM »
What  I'm hearing is the best way to do  it, is probably to just get our own puff pastry and make the pies ourselves. Come to think of it, some of the tastiest pies I've eaten was made by my aunt.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »
There is an Austrian-run butchery-deli in Victoria Road in Southfield.   Not an upmarket area at all, but the new owner who took over 18 months ago provides the most delicious pies, crusty rolls and is slowly getting a name for quality food

This picture of the shop, Werda Butchery, seems to have been taken on a Sunday, hence the lack of traffic

This sure is a blast from the past. I grew up in Southfield in the 80's.

Offline santoshlv426

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
I decided to give the Mugg abd Bean chicken pot pie a try. It's actually quite good and I hate to admit that for a chain restaurant. A 250g portion was R38, so the pricing is very similar to the WW 580g pie.