Author Topic: Outdoor Braai Bluetooth Boombox  (Read 337 times)

Offline Guetzer

Outdoor Braai Bluetooth Boombox
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
Hi guys,

Here is another bluetooth boombox build - for your entertainment.

My goal for this boombox is to have decent power, decent sound quality, feature passive radiators and be sort of durable for outdoor purposes. I also aim to complete the build pretty quick. I already have an amp and power supply which I'm planning on using, the amp is a TDA7492P based amp and the power supply a Dell laptop charger. The charger gives a good output of 19.5V and 9.23A, I'll add a booster eventually to boost the voltage to 24V.

Here's the amp (it also has a handy aluminium case - not shown):

For the speakers I bought some DD Audio 6.5" component speakers (http://ddaudio.com/products/global/redline-speakers/rl-cs6-5/), I have a similar pair in my car and for the price they sound really good!

They measure at around 6 ohm at the crossover:

I bought some cheap 8" car subwoofers which I'll be cutting the magnets off to basically turn them into passive radiators - I know it sounds a bit unnecessary, but it's still a cost effective and fast way of getting the parts for the build.

Stay tuned for some more pictures of the progress in the following days. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Offline Katji

Re: Outdoor Braai Bluetooth Boombox
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:22:26 PM »
 :D Subscribed!

But why the passive radiators?  It'll be heavy enough as it is.

Offline PJFourie

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:23:20 PM »
This looks interesting!   :2thumbs:
Subscribed. Please post many pictures as you build.

Offline Guetzer

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:22:20 PM »
:D Subscribed!

But why the passive radiators?  It'll be heavy enough as it is.

I experimented with smaller passive radiators a while ago and really enjoyed the extra low end they give in a smaller enclosure, so I'm going the same route - just bigger PRs this time   :D

Offline Guetzer

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 06:23:09 PM »
This looks interesting!   :2thumbs:
Subscribed. Please post many pictures as you build.

Thank you! I'll do my best  :P

Offline Guetzer

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:51:01 PM »
After receiving the cheap 8" woofers and inspecting them, also played some music through them of course, they look like they will work very good as PRs.

Here is a clip of them being tested on the TDA7492P amp (unfortunately can't seem to embed the video in the post):
https://youtu.be/WUQ9Pn8H2Sg

For the enclosure:

I have been searching for a while to get a specific enclosure, first prize is a waterproof hard plastic case (sometimes called a Pelican case), sadly these cases are quite expensive. Second prize would be a rifle case, which is also mostly expensive and the dimensions are not ideal (too wide and very shallow). Last prize for me would just be a wooden enclosure as it's not very rugged - depending on the wood of course and for me to cut and assemble a wooden box will take too long. However... I have finally found something that's a good size and not that expensive! I found the first prize at Mica and for a really good price too!

Here's some pictures with mock up's of where the drivers will go:

The case is very sturdy and solid, it seals air tight when closed (it has a air release vent screw on top which i unscrewed and pressurised - with my mouth).

Next step is some cutting, cutting holes in the case and cutting the magnets off of the 8" woofers.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 03:19:22 AM »
If you haven't yet cut the magnet off, I have a pair of old paper cone passive radiators, they are quite stiff compared to to a speaker that's had its magnet removed of that might help
Sent from my Nokia 2110 using Tapatalk

Offline Guetzer

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
If you haven't yet cut the magnet off, I have a pair of old paper cone passive radiators, they are quite stiff compared to to a speaker that's had its magnet removed of that might help

Aaahh! wish I've seen this earlier... because I already cut the magnets off  :Ooooooh: Thanks in any case haha

Offline Guetzer

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 04:37:22 PM »
Update on the project, the cutting has been done, here are some pictures:

The plastic is quite thick, about 8mm... this took a while with a hand drill:

Test fitting the drivers and tweeters:

Everything fit perfectly! I'm really happy with the look of it so far, exactly what I was planning to achieve. I've tested the sound a little bit (with wires coming out of the vent hole) and it sounds really good, quite a bit better than I thought!!

Next is going to be adding the voltage booster and fitting everything inside the case. I'm planning on doing that over this weekend.

Offline Wolla

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Been following your boombox build. Looking good indeed.
Main/PC: FLAC > Zotac ZBox Nano > Halide Bridge > Bel Canto DAC3vb > Bel Canto REF1000 > Piega Premium 5
Cables: Zu Audio - Mission
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, DIY OB Boombox

Offline Katji

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
Hand drill... cut looks very clean.

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
This project is coming together very well.
You did an amazing job with cutting those holes. I loathe those cutters.
Well done indeed.  :2thumbs:

Offline Guetzer

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys :D will post more updates soon.