Author Topic: Sealing MDF edges  (Read 1773 times)

Offline reeman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Yellow cones are for.......
Sealing MDF edges
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:20:26 AM »
Morning Gents

I have a sub build coming up and I am really trying to make my life easier. I have built plasma stands and side tables etc but every time i fight with the MDF because it sucks up the paint on the edges. I normally fix this by spreading some body filler on the edges and sanding, but that is a terrible process and sometimes it has to be done a few times.

I have read that you can mix wood glue and water to solve this issue but i have seen what water does to mdf and i really dont want to have to re-do the cabinets.

Anybody done this before or is there a alternate solution?

Offline u235

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I'm sure I can hear the difference now.........
    • Youngblood Consultants
Re: Sealing MDF edges
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
Easiest I have used is shellac. You can buy it premixed and just paint it on. It dries in moments so to apply a few layers is a doddle.
Upon the plains bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.

Offline reeman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Yellow cones are for.......
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »
Easiest I have used is shellac. You can buy it premixed and just paint it on. It dries in moments so to apply a few layers is a doddle.

Fantastic

I will give that a try.

Offline JohnnyIC

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
+1 for shellac

Offline Doogle

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
Sanding sealer also works :-)
Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Offline bbe22

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
another way is to start with mitres  - much more initial work but far less edge issues

Offline oradba69

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »
Have used both sanding sealer and the wood glue mix. Both work, sanding sealer just dries much quicker.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
http://www.lerange.com

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »
Or use iron-on veneer edging.

Offline Jason Willemse

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 03:31:08 PM »
We are sealing MDF porous edges with Q-Bond glue. The product is a type of super glue with the consistency of thinners. The product is immediately absorbed deep into the wood, dries in seconds, sealing the edges and gives near composite material hardness.

Try it... you’ll be surprised at how effective it is.

Thereafter, primed and spray painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »
try this stuff

https://plascon.com/products/products/wood/woodcare-sanding-sealer

Works well at sealing the edges. Paint it on, dries in under 10 mins

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 10:54:17 AM »
We are sealing MDF porous edges with Q-Bond glue. The product is a type of super glue with the consistency of thinners. The product is immediately absorbed deep into the wood, dries in seconds, sealing the edges and gives near composite material hardness.

Try it... you’ll be surprised at how effective it is.

Thereafter, primed and spray painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jason, I have always used wood glue and water mix and has always been effective, but I am very interested in your method.

I only know Q-bond in the little tube, where do you get it in volumes large enough to treat large MDF edges?

Many thanks,
Nicholas

Offline fdlsys

• Fiddle What?
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 11:13:07 AM »
^ AMT Composites for example, probably quite a few other places. Perhaps also contact 3M/Wurth/etc. directly.

The traditional "bulk" option is the (glass) fibre + resin, edges only. You don't need to wrap the whole cabinet but it certainly won't hurt. Material is inexpensive and pretty easy to work with if you are just applying by brush/roller with the idea of sanding flat afterwards.
If you are uncomfortable working with polyester resin, AMT has what they call "Material One" which is acrylic/water based. But the best would be to have a chat with them and explain what you need it for - it might not be advised for very thin layers.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis