Author Topic: If you've ever wondered what's inside a Vivid...Ouch!!  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Katji

Re: If you've ever wondered what's inside a Vivid...Ouch!!
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:45 AM »
;D I ended up refraining, because I felt stunned. :D

Re time getting short...I decided over the last few years that it's a good thing, for me. 

Offline ScottulusMaximus

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2019, 08:15:05 AM »
I don’t want to diss this design as I admittedly know very little about speaker design, but if I connect speaker cable that costs multiples of thousands of ronts to this I would be hard pressed not to think of the last meter of very ordinary looking wire connecting the lot together inside. Or am I wrong? I will be the first to apologize if I got it completely wrong....

Looks like really cheap Bennic caps. Shocking for such an expensive speaker.

It's almost as if one of the best speaker manufacturers in the world knows that fancy cables and boutique capacitors are complete nonsense....

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »
It's almost as if one of the best speaker manufacturers in the world knows that fancy cables and boutique capacitors are complete nonsense....
As I said, maybe the parts that they selected provides the voicing they are after. It makes no difference to the fact that it raises questions in my mind about the value proposition of their products. I will pass thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The only exercise I get is jumping to conclusions

Online Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »

Yeah, easy there turbo. “One of the best speaker manufacturers in the world” might be reaching a little. We have exposure to all of four speaker brands in SA, one of which is local, and has garnered a little attention overseas, and now it’s one of the best?

Maybe a savvy local speaker manufacturer has figured out that the typical speaker buyer has more money than musical appreciation, and that they only need to engineer products that overemphasise certain “ feel good” frequencies, to pass as legit products, better than the other speaker manufacturers that engineer products that overemphasise certain “feel good” frequencies.
Who would know? The handful of people that have heard a real speaker are so few, they can happily bugger off. There are more than enough buyers out there who blissfully don’t really care what it sounds like.
ScanSpeak 👍🏻
Furutech 👍🏻

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2019, 08:52:12 AM »
Regarding the caps used by Vivid:

I asked Philip about the Bennic caps they were using when he was showing me the crossover assembly line (I have just finished my Illuminator's with expensive caps, so I was quite interested) and he said that they had done extensive blind tests on all caps with there speakers and made the decision based on what sounded the best for there speakers, irrespective of cost. Call me naïve, but that sounds logical.

I believe it's simple component matching. Not every great amp sounds great with every great pair of speakers.

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2019, 09:00:54 AM »
Regarding the caps used by Vivid:

I asked Philip about the Bennic caps they were using when he was showing me the crossover assembly line (I have just finished my Illuminator's with expensive caps, so I was quite interested) and he said that they had done extensive blind tests on all caps with there speakers and made the decision based on what sounded the best for there speakers, irrespective of cost. Call me naïve, but that sounds logical.

I believe it's simple component matching. Not every great amp sounds great with every great pair of speakers.

The cynic in me questions whether the Bennic caps sounded best to them or their accountants... Having said that they appear to be happy with the voicing of their speakers and apparently so are many happy purchasers of their products. Who am I to disagree with them?

Offline Morne Coetzee

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • POWER | PRECISION | PURITY
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
As I said, maybe the parts that they selected provides the voicing they are after. It makes no difference to the fact that it raises questions in my mind about the value proposition of their products. I will pass thanks.

Its to "smooth" over the tweeter   :giggle:

Anyway its true what they say a picture speaks a thousand words, it is what it is so live with it. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything, B&W, Vivid or Dixon. So get out your measuring charts, economic calculators, look at facts and conspiracy theories and make up your own mind.

And if you are too stunned to comment, remember that maybe next time you post it can be your speaker brand under the spotlight.

Thanks mods please lock, I don't think this topic should dominate the forum at the risk of upsetting more Vivid owners. 
There is Always justification for more Amplification!

Offline Cross_over

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »
Next...can someone please drop a Wilson speaker so that we can go to town on it...

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
It is lovely to see the active participation and passion on this thread.
Please remember to keep it civil when you comment and treat other members the way you would like to be treated.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.” Alan Watts

Offline Morne Coetzee

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2019, 07:23:09 PM »
It is lovely to see the active participation and passion on this thread.
Please remember to keep it civil when you comment and treat other members the way you would like to be treated.

Unlocked again?

Offline Andile

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:53 PM »
Unlocked again?

Back by popular demand  :2thumbs:

Offline Morne Coetzee

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »
Back by popular demand  :2thumbs:

:ROFLMAO: At your own peril  :flame:

Offline Andile

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
:ROFLMAO: At your own peril  :flame:

Let's start

Vivid Audio speaker drivers look the business  :2thumbs:

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2019, 07:33:16 PM »
Yes, unlocked again. Back by popular demand  :giggle: So, keep it civil.
“I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.” Alan Watts

Offline Morne Coetzee

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Ok, so I have video of the remains playing, not sure if this can be uploaded, but I will try.

Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1982714188657691?view=permalink&id=2223741051221669

Tapatalk dowloadable link 1.03mb:
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cdc503be7e72/60845001_400816297311658_1052705117133864960_n.mp4

Have at it..... :groovy:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:50:38 PM by Morne Coetzee »