Going in a different direction

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1447

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
okay - i made what i thought would be a serious start to my Head-Fi hobby and it was up to a certain point but it was definitely overkill in comparison to the other stuff that i had and i was actually trying to run and jump before i could crawl ..... heres a link for the people who don't know what i'm on about

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,78432.0.html

I eventually realized that having a great DAC/AMP was of no use if the headphones that i had were not up to the task and this amp was way overkill even though it certainly was the best item i had so i decided to let it go and do a slower start to my headphone adventures .... so this was sold to a deserving home and i recovered as much as i could given that this was a brand new item still

so what did i do with the cash i received back .... well i started buying some less serious items but items that were more commensurate with my lack of experience ie beginner items and stuff more geared toward being starter kit

starting with what CapeTownWatches on the forum calls his $20 dollar secret weapon ie the KZ ZSN In Ear Monitors

so these arrived to me and i tried them out and i was astonished at what i heard ..... its no wonder that a lot of reviewers around the world love these little dinky things that are so good for the price that they cost

box.jpg

earphones.jpg

package.jpg

these are amazing little toys and they cost under R500 landed to your door - and basically are a wonderful bit of kit but still not so serious because they can easily be driven to topnotch levels by an average cellphone but they scale wonderfully well to even using a DAC/AMP though im not sure if they need a lot of power

these play better than my HD202 which are full sized over ear headphones - these things have better bass, better midrange and way better treble and IMHO generally all round just sound better than the HD202 which is surprising given their size and while they are not the best IEMs in the world i think that you would need to spend serious money to beat them  :thumbs: so indeed as Arie suggests they are definitely $20 secret weapons (the version i got was the KZ ZSN pro which was $24)