Thorens TD125 Restoration

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazach

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everybody

This is my first post :Whoohoo:. I've just acquired a semi-butchered TD125 and given the track record of this fine piece of equipment, I'm quite chaffed to have a go at it. This will be my first undertaking of any audio component and therefore I'm going in with cheeks tightly clenched. I've already discovered that there's a few missing parts which I'll listed shortly with possible solutions that I've managed to source. The motor works and thankfully dead quiet. I'm battling to find the updated forum rules in order for me to start off on the right foot (somebody please direct there :facepalm:) Anyway, I will try to post pictures where possible and when I familiarize myself with the interface.

Here is a list of things that needs replacing/repairing/cleaning

1. The plinth was in a bad state (years of abuse) - I've managed to find a carpenter who offered to make me one using solid wood.
2. It was missing 2x suspension springs - I tracked down a company in Pinetown who made me a brand new set for the same price of two single Jamesons at your local watering hole.
3. Completely worn out belt - Managed to source a Thakker replacement..any good?
4. The fibre washers and nuts which keeps the suspension together are missing - I found some neoprene washers at the local hardware, I'm still on the look out for those nuts (seems to be 3mm in size)
5. The sub-platter has a dent on one side (it looks like it's been dropped or something) - I'm hoping to find one pretty soon. I put in some fresh oil just to check the bearing and it was suprisingly quiet, under the circumstances.
6. I'm really excited about the SME 3009 it came with (not sure if it is the improved one or not) - it's missing the anti-skate assembly. - some improvision might be necessary.
7. I drew up a face plate and had two different colours routered and cold bent - It's a 0.75mm (I think) aluminium with a copper finish and the other a brushed ally. (keen to see if this will compliment the Aesthetics of the TT or if it will border on cheesy.
8. I had a 0.5mm high gloss black ABS cut to size and laminated onto the armboard.
9. I'm cleaning and polishing bits and bobs as and when time permits.

My aim is to put her together and then start her up and assess from there. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers