Author Topic: Plausible reason for cables sounding different  (Read 1322 times)

Online Ampdog

Re: Plausible reason for cables sounding different
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »
The double blind testers have gone into hiding? 

Saying this with due respect . . . . 
   let me phrase it this way: I find just enough contradictions here to make me uncomfortable.  I would be interested to know exactly how the mentioned  1,9 KHz was arrived at . . . .

Until then . . .   :)  :)  :)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »
I can conclusively prove that some cables sound different. I have a lovely 3m RCA cable used for my subwoofer that I recently replaced. Even in a double blind test I can pick the one cable from the other under the right conditions. The right conditions being that the old cable, when getting near to my AVR's power cable, would cause the sub to hum very badly. The new cable does not. The new cable probably cost less than the original one that hums  :tongue:.

I would suggest that the old cable may be damaged.  Also, one or more of the plugs may not be making intimate contact with the socket

Many cables brought to me can successfully be fixed by unsoldering the plug, cutting off a few mm of the end of the cable, cleaning the plug and resoldering.  Is also possible that the original soldering job was dodgy on account of the metal being dirty or corroded.  To achieve a 100% soldered joint, both surfaces must be pristine

Then you get mechanical wear.  This is often apparent with mobile phone charger leads, as people are a bit rough with it or else detach it from the phone using the cable and not the plug.   The copper strands inside are usually extremely thin and copper is not a strong material

To explain cable damage a bit more, the shield is usually wrapped in a braid fashion, as can be seen from this image

If the cable is bent over a sharp corner, the braid can separate and allow in the hum through induction and exhibit the symptom described

(An induced current (the hum) can be created in a cable lying adjacent to another carrying current with the collapsing magnetic field due to the 50Hz AC travelling through - this is how transformers operate)

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »
Carnajo,

Just so that I understand you correctly (and with due respect, your emoticon at the end leaves me in some doubt): When folks say that certain cables sound differently, they mean the program (music or whatever) sounds differently from one cable to another. What I gather from your post is that you found interference with the 'old cable' (the RCA?) and not with the new one?

One must differentiate between music sounding different, and interference being picked up or not. It may be something simple as in that the old cable was not screened properly whereas the new one is. This is not the same as in a cable changing the character/sound of the music.

Can you kindly elucidate, please?

Hi there, I was just being facetious and indeed the problem was of course interference. If one RCA cable sounds different to another (interference or just a very very bad cable not withstanding) I have never heard any.

(An induced current (the hum) can be created in a cable lying adjacent to another carrying current with the collapsing magnetic field due to the 50Hz AC travelling through - this is how transformers operate)

Didn't expect my flippant comment to get such serious responses. Thanks for insight. I have never soldered anything in my life so the prospect of trying to repair it is beyond my means but that said I think the issue was indeed the latter (i.e. current hum) because the RCA cable would cross the AVRs power cable and the hum got worse if the cable was too close. Wasn't an easy way to move them apart and I did my best to ensure they crossed at 90 degrees. That said the new cable has no hum so I suspect that it has better shielding (or possibly the previous cable had no shielding at all). Mechanical damage is possible but the cable was never bent sharply (but then again who knows, may have been inadvertent).

Offline Prich_Legend84

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
How much of a real difference can be heard to the blind man?
Pioneer SC 1224-K, Klipsh RF 62 Fronts - Rest of build in progress... ;)

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • And there you have it, Bob's your uncle
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 06:39:05 PM »
How much of a real difference can be heard to the blind man?
What are you planning on selling?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:46:10 PM by BobsYourUncle »
I'm hearing images, I'm seeing songs that poet has ever painted

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 08:09:52 AM »
What are you planning on selling?

Hahahaha!! maybe a go-cart  :tongue:
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Prich_Legend84

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 07:05:10 PM »
Following this with great interest
Pioneer SC 1224-K, Klipsh RF 62 Fronts - Rest of build in progress... ;)