Author Topic: Plausible reason for cables sounding different  (Read 487 times)

Offline Stanp

Plausible reason for cables sounding different
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »
I thought this a very plausible reason for cables sounding different; something I could believe.
 https://youtu.be/c3AJJrKNBRQ

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Re: Plausible reason for cables sounding different
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:58:09 PM »
So cables sound different with different material?  I never thought of this

The overall opinion is "no", but he is careful not to put his foot in it

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Louisek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Listen to many, speak to a few
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:28:08 AM »
I'm currently on "loan" to the École Polytechnique in Paris and being keen on audio I have been experimenting with metal coatings and surface effects on copper and other materials.  As long as the cross-section of the cable is adequate for the maximum expected current (plus 20%) then more effect on transmission speed is discernable by varying the dipped, plated or pressed surface treatment with an alternative metal (to the copper substrate).  This does not have to be silver or aluminium, but can be zinc, tin and even gold

Naturally, these transmission speeds are measurable using a non-contact laser displacement as the HLDC-CMOS range of devices, but each material has it own characteristics

Knowing this, there can be a difference in the sound signature for frequencies above 1,9KHz which can materialise into audible effect

Offline Tzs503gp

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • HiFi- trust your ears- eyes lie
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
There. How do you like them apples.

Offline Den123

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
Very interesting study, Louisek. 1.9kHz seems very low. What sort of difference is there, percentage wise?

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »
I'm currently on "loan" to the École Polytechnique in Paris and being keen on audio I have been experimenting with metal coatings and surface effects on copper and other materials.  As long as the cross-section of the cable is adequate for the maximum expected current (plus 20%) then more effect on transmission speed is discernable by varying the dipped, plated or pressed surface treatment with an alternative metal (to the copper substrate).  This does not have to be silver or aluminium, but can be zinc, tin and even gold

Naturally, these transmission speeds are measurable using a non-contact laser displacement as the HLDC-CMOS range of devices, but each material has it own characteristics

Knowing this, there can be a difference in the sound signature for frequencies above 1,9KHz which can materialise into audible effect

Very interesting. Is there a paper I can read on this? Or any detail that is more than superficial?

Also, how did you manage to use a laser displacement measuring device to measure transmission speed in cables.

Also, how does transmission speed translate to anything audible?

Also, if any of this were true, then we would be able to measure the effect easily by means of normal audio spectrum equipment - like a sound card.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:10:25 AM »
I regularly (well, 4 or 5 times a year) exchange emails with Louise as she also develops software for Audirvana and Devialet and showed her around Cape Town when she visited here a few years back

Apparently the transmission speed was measured by calculating the difference between a known length of metal material and one with an added layer in terms of an electrical signal.   I did not really under the science and her English and spelling is sometimes a bit strange.  I also have no idea what a laser displacement device is, and asking Mr Google was also unhelpful
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:35:16 AM »
I regularly (well, 4 or 5 times a year) exchange emails with Louise as she also develops software for Audirvana and Devialet and showed her around Cape Town when she visited here a few years back

Apparently the transmission speed was measured by calculating the difference between a known length of metal material and one with an added layer in terms of an electrical signal.   I did not really under the science and her English and spelling is sometimes a bit strange.  I also have no idea what a laser displacement device is, and asking Mr Google was also unhelpful

Well, I am truly interested - show me the science.

Offline d0dja

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
And yet in repeated double-blind tests, no-one has ever been able to reliably tell cables apart.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
The double blind testers have gone into hiding?

They in a conference discussing this heresy.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole