Looking to get a new AVR - need some help please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagenuts

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post so bear with me.

I have an Onkyo SR600 with Polk RT5s (bookshelves) as fronts, Polk CS150 Center and a Polk PSW350 Sub. All these were bought 8-14 years ago. These are all 8ohm speakers. I then have a set of Wharfedale DFS18s that I'm going to use as rear bipole surrounds but these are 6ohm rated.

I recently purchased a Plasma TV and then decided to make more use of it so bought an HD PVR and Samsung Blu-Ray player and ordered an Xbox 360 Kinect. Then I discovered that these are all connected better when the AVR has HDMI input/output. I have the HD PVR & BD audio connected with Digital optical and the SD PVR TV1 & 2 with RCA but may use Digital Coaxial at some stage.

Anyway, I then started thinking I needed to upgrade my AVR to stay with the times. I have a quote on an Onkyo SR508 but I see this doesn't do video upscaling? I see that this forum bashed Yamaha owners but the new RXV767 looks pretty decent? Should I rather stick with Onkyo?

Last input needed is whether I need to upgrade my speakers at all?

Apologies for the long post but not sure if all this info is needed.

So my needs are HT mainly but I also like listening to music. I also have a Onkyo 6 CD changer and an Onkyo DVD player so figured these would make a nice combo for someone else as I see no reason to have them now that I have the BD player. Oh, I also have a FreeNAS box where I'm trying to stream media to the new Plasma with difficulty. I also have speakers on my patio which are powered by the speaker B option on the SR600, this is definitely needed.

???

Latest posts