Author Topic: Mancave (that sounds amazing)  (Read 1398 times)

Offline chimpwithcans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Kenya Bred, South African Naturalised, Hi-Fi!
    • Chimpwithcans
Mancave (that sounds amazing)
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:07:45 AM »
How much would you pay for a mancave with perfect acoustics? I am thinking of a little space to call my own in the far corner of the garden. The mancave of my dreams is calibrated for optimal acoustics, it is rigged for serious vinyl and digital music listening, it is comfortable, it is off the grid, and it has a fridge full of beer.

I'd pay good money for that. Maybe ALL my money :)

Offline KenMasters

Re: Mancave (that sounds amazing)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
Hmm, the only problem with that dream is that fridges are noisy - so you might want to rethink that particular aspect.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »
I did just that. Converted a not used third garage at the side of the house into a mancave (with "mancave" sign even  :giggle: on the door).
In there I have a serious 7.2.4 Atmos theatre with 110inch projector screen, optimal acoustics (acoustic panels and thick drapes), not very serious vinyl and no digital music listening whatsoever. IMHO stereo and HT don't mix well and I have chosen to separate my systems.  Added some LazyBoys, blankies for the knees when its cold, aircon for hot days but I left the fridge out.

Most of the equipment were end of range stuff, used equipment or swap deals I did and most of the work was either DIY or getting someone in on a Saturday morning to help me quickly with a piece of work. Cost about the same as a weeks family holiday for 4 to Mauritius in a three star hotel. I did upgrade the subs twice which added to the cost afterwards.

I think it sounds pretty decent.

Offline irengineer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
I have a room like this, minus the serious room treatments which is next on the list. Have a double garage sized room (above the double garage) which was used as an office for a small business. Once the business outgrew the space, I called dibs and converted that to a mancave. It has a small kitchenette, fridge and even a loo! The conveniece stuff is all placed to one side, only taking up 1.5 meters of space on the one side, leaving a large space for me and my two boys (currently aged 10 and 12). They got allocated the side of the room opposite the kitchen for their Lego table and stuff. I placed purpose built vinyl racks against the kitchen side wall and decorated the walls with movie posters and old vinyl records laser cut into famous album covers and band logos. Finally I placed a desk there, so I have a space to work from at home. This all left a large space for me to place a pair of big Tannoy speakers in a stereo setup. It caters for both digital and analogue playback. Also rigged the room with an Amazon Alexa AI device and some smart LED strip lights and smart LED bulbs in the lights. Now I can control the mood lighting as well. For my next two projects the cabling has to be done neatly along with the LED strip lighting. Let’s just say it is in proof of concept mode at the moment. Then the room has to be acoustically treated. It is a fun ongoing project to improve the room with lots having been done over the past two years. Closest thing to room treatment at the moment is a carpet and thick material blinds for the windows. And I cannot hear the bar fridge stocked with craft beer ;-)

Costs. I bought all the HiFi kit used over the years as budget allowed. Did a friend a favour so in return he built the vinyl storage racks. Spent big bucks on the DAC and one of the turntables. Everything else was relative pennies as the opportunity came round to buy records etc. Desk etc was all re-used from previous purchases.

Key thing for me was to know it won’t all happen on day one. It took time and I am having fun along the way. Now the stuff that irritates me (the cabling spaghetti incident) needs to be fixed and that will bring along some power conditioning.

Fun fun fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don’t have any surface noise.  I said, “Listen, mate, life has surface noise.” 

John Peel ( the longest serving of the original BBC Radio1 DJs)

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
Can confirm that Drifter's Mancave is the REAL THING.  Spent some time there with a friend and watched and listened for a couple of hours.   The installation is very neatly done as well
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
irengineer, you really need to post some pics!!!!   :RTFM:  :baseball:  :teach:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Baseline

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 05:11:29 PM »
How much would you pay for a mancave with perfect acoustics?

To get back to the question you asked, there is no such thing as perfect acoustics. There is only "perfect for you" as everyone has different ideas on what things should sound like. As to cost, the amount could vary drastically on a case by case basis. Starting with the basic room to be used, you could have reasonable acoustics right off the bat or a disaster that is a nightmare to correct and the costs go accordingly. Thereafter comes your preference of equipment. Will you be happy with basic Nad, Yamaha, Marantz etc or are you going to require either the top of the range from those stables or go even further and want Audio Research, Vivid Audio and similar high end brands? After that comes your choice of furnishings and lighting. As you can see, there can be a huge difference in costs for a similar sized room when taking all the factors into account.

In short, create a room to your taste, within your budget and enjoy it. What others think is not important as you are the one who has to fork out financially and in the end, you are the one that has to live with the result. Just my opinion.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline Carnajo

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »
Unfortunately the best I could do in my garden is a man-phonebooth. Maybe with some good headphones...