Aluminium tube subwoofer ideas please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzs503gp

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I?ve been hankering to add two subs to my setup for some time. However, subwoofers that can compliment my YGs, are expensive. Goes without saying, it?ll have to be sealed. Cabinet resonance must be on par with the YGs. Coherence will have to be spot on. As I said, expensive.

Years ago, I purchased a 2,2 meter tube of extruded ally, to make speaker stands from. Never did get around to that project. The tube is approximately 200mm in OD, with a 6mm wall thickness, so a beafy piece of metal. I?m thinking of building my own subs using this tube.
Since the diameter is approximately 8 inches, I?m looking at using 6,5 or 7 inch drivers. Something from Scanspeak, such as the Revelator, or Illuminator, to keep with the tone of the floor standers. I?m not going for crazy house shaking bass, but rather just a fill in of the last two octaves below 40 hz.
That?s about as far as I can plan. I need some input from the forum please. I?m not going for your average DIY job here. I have access to proper fabrication facilities.
Questions I have are:
Can a decent subwoofer be achieved using multiple 7? Scanspeak drivers?
I can make the enclosure in different ways, single driver in front, cap at rear. A driver front and rear, in phase or out. Split the tube in half down the axis, and weld in side plates to create an oval profile, and fit two drivers on the front baffle. Even, go for a triangular profile and use 3 drivers.
Baffle, internal bracing and rear plate will be CNC machined from ally plate.
Hmm, getting expensive.
But there it is. Please guide me. Can it be done?