Author Topic: Names that arenít used anymore  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+58)
Re: Names that arenít used anymore
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »
Thank you for acknowledging my post.
ďI have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.Ē  Alan Watts

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
Lesbia

It is a name - seriously.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »
Thank you for acknowledging my post.

I'll be done saving the few bits I need in a bit...
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
Some Afrikaans names that were popular around my generation's birth years and those of the generation before (I don't hear these names often in the current generation, at least at my son's school - looks like family names are on their way out, replaced by modern Americanised names like Keanu and Paris   :facepalm: ):

Eufesia

While trying to remeber why the name Eufesia rang a bell, I came across this amusing article (in Dutch but mostly comprehensible): Eeufesius, Hitleriana en andere bizarre Zuid-Afrikaanse voornamen

"Apartheidi"  :ROFLMAO:

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 08:59:40 AM »
This is the last snide post we will read about Eric or Family Dog on this forum, from either BWS or Rotten Johnny. Anyone willing to test my resolve on this, please be my guest.

Flexing early on already I see. How sure are you it was aimed at F_D? Fair to assume yes, but not to a 100% certainty.

Go cuddle up, lapdog.

I reckon I'm beating you @Rotten Johnny to the ban :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:31 AM »
Haibo, I forgot to save the **** I want so must bite my tongue for another day.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »

Flexing early on already I see. How sure are you it was aimed at F_D? Fair to assume yes, but not to a 100% certainty.

Go cuddle up, lapdog.

I reckon I'm beating you @Rotten Johnny to the ban

Haibo, I forgot to save the **** I want so must bite my tongue for another day.

We need to make a play pen section for you 2, soft toys and suckers, nursery rhymes playing softly in the background?

Music is in the Mind

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »

We need to make a play pen section for you 2, soft toys and suckers, nursery rhymes playing softly in the background?

Make it leather, beer, doritos, strippers and George Thorogood playing in the background and we're there :thumbs:

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
Some Afrikaans names that were popular around my generation's birth years and those of the generation before (I don't hear these names often in the current generation, at least at my son's school - looks like family names are on their way out, replaced by modern Americanised names like Keanu and Paris   :facepalm: ):
I think it started in 1980s. American influence on [names] from film/tv...seems that South Africans, English and Afrikaans, were more influenced by it, sooner, than the British and other Europeans.  Some of those names, like Cindy (very popular in SA), are short forms of proper names, like Cynthia, that became proper names because people registered them as their children's names.
Some of them began as stage names / film star names.
Dunno about Keanu, for all I know it's Polynesian or something, but Paris is the name of an ancient Greek mythology figure. - Male.

Eufesia
Marthinus
Saartjie
Matthys
Trudie
Emmerentia
Jan
Chrisjan
Gert
Abraham
Willem
Leon
Irma
Roelof/Roelf
Magnus
Barend

Some English:
Herbert (my brother's name)
Basil
Sol
Sol Kerzner. Solly.  Short form of Solomon, birth certificate will have Solomon.  Jewish/Hebrew.
Basil is Latin.
Basil is popular with the greeks.
hmm, Latin botanical name, maybe came from Greek.

About 80-90% of English/British names are Anglicised forms of Jewish/Hebrew names. Maybe more Dutch and German names are original Germanic names.  Hence were called Christian names, more recently started referring to them as first names - and last names instead of surnames.
If you can't find a corresponding Biblical name or Latin name, maybe it is original Germanic/Anglo/Celtic/whatever.  Sometimes difficult without academic study stuff.
Anglicised and Dutchified and Frenchified versions of Jewish names.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  Matthys, Mathias.  Jean, Jan.  Marthinus, Martin.
Abraham.  The original "prophet, or Jewish patriarch.  Abraham Lincoln.

Gert, Gerrit.  Roelof. Rudolf.  Barend. Willem, William, Wilhelm.  I can't see any Biblical connection...?

Eufesia.  Euphesia.  It seems Latin.  (Where did the 'ph' thing for 'f' come from, in English and German? Good thing about Dutch/Nederlands is they didn't do that. Dolf not Dolph.)

Saartjie. Saartje. Looks to be a short form of something...?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:12:09 PM by Katji »

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »

Make it leather, beer, doritos, strippers and George Thorogood playing in the background and we're there :thumbs:
Whatever they use as pacifiers these days is good with me.
Music is in the Mind

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
Whatever they use as pacifiers these days is good with me.

What works for you? I'm flexible

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • #whenpeoplezol
    • jagasounds
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
Ok, enough.  Or just close the thread. Yet another.

Offline Thys

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
Ossewania

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+58)
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 05:20:19 PM »

Go cuddle up, lapdog.

I reckon I'm beating you @Rotten Johnny to the ban :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

For your reference, the forum rules: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,2186.0.html

1. No personal attacks. Audio is a subjective matter and causes for disagreement abound; intelligent discussion and arguments are welcome. What will not be tolerated however is any post that is in any way inflamatory, racist or any remark that the moderators see as a personal attack on an individual.

13. We can not emphasize enough the importance of keeping the bickering, arguing, flaming, bashing and other such nefarious activities at bay. Furthermore, provoking and eliciting threads, posts and links that may give rise to potential conflict are also prohibited. This includes posting threads and content with the intent of 'Trolling' or 'Stirring the pot'.

14. If you and another member (or members) have issues with one another, DO NOT bring those issues to this forum. It will absolutely NOT be tolerated.

15. We will ensure that Mod and Admin behavior is in line with the rules and to the benefit of the greater community. It should, however, be understood that decisions made by the Mod and Admin team are not up for debate on the open forum. Should you disagree with a decision being made, you are welcome to PM any of the team to discuss this. Failure to abide with this will result in severe action being taken.

Rules amendment written by yourself BWS: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,15042.0.html

4. Banter amongst members is fine and even encouraged, malicious attacks that are beyond the scope of jest and banter is not. Again this will be determined b the Mod team and is again not open for debate.

ďI have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.Ē  Alan Watts

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
My great-great grandfather (1821 to 1910) was Horatio Annabel Bartholomue Leedham.   His father served under Lord Nelson so that is where the first name came from.  Annabel was his grandmother's name

He became a master builder and built the first railway tunnel under the Mersey between Birkenhead and Liverpool which opened in 1886.  The Prince of Wales came to the opening and congratulated him in that "only 33 men and 14 horses" perished during construction

He lived in Nottingham and Leicester and had 15 children.  12 of them outlived him.  Being a master builder, he had, for the time a good income, his wife was a Quaker and she saw to it that the children were well looked after

I have the photographs from the constructors album.  This is the Illustrated London News engraving

Music is the shorthand of emotion