Author Topic: Ungrateful!  (Read 1980 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Ungrateful!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 05:22:52 PM »
I think it is necessary to differentiate between refugees and illegal immigrants.  Anyone with refugee status cannot be deported.  Illegal immigrants or those who have been denied refugee status can be deported.  Those Nigerian/whatever nationality drug dealers are mainly illegal and can be deported, the Somali, Eritrean and Ethiopian refugees who have set up businesses and been active in the economy and employed South Africans MUST be protected as they have a right to set up business (as do those of other nations with resident status eg. Many of those shopkeepers in Joburg including Nigerians).  I do not know the status of those in the church in Cape Town, but it is likely they have applied for and are awaiting a decision on refugee status.

A country that helps those that seek refuge is an admirable one imho.  Those given refuge are also subject to the laws of the country in the same way as citizens are.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:25:09 PM by JonnyP »
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+143)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - we're getting better sound
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »
Certainly the Malawians have taken over the domestic services.  We have a first-class gent who comes twice a week and keeps the place neat and tidy.  I also discovered he is adept at paving and he took up my entire driveway, cleaned out all the roots, laid sand to get the levels right and replaced them, without breaking one brick

My neighbour is having his double garage converted into a flat, complete with an extra floor.  His builder had some locals working for him who proved unreliable.  Now he has 4 Zim guys there.   They get on with the work, operate neatly and don't steal
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »
Certainly the Malawians have taken over the domestic services.  We have a first-class gent who comes twice a week and keeps the place neat and tidy.  I also discovered he is adept at paving and he took up my entire driveway, cleaned out all the roots, laid sand to get the levels right and replaced them, without breaking one brick

My neighbour is having his double garage converted into a flat, complete with an extra floor.  His builder had some locals working for him who proved unreliable.  Now he has 4 Zim guys there.   They get on with the work, operate neatly and don't steal

A very different bunch of guys to the entitled freeloaders at the Methodist church.

There’s no such thing as the past, it exists only in the memory. There’s no such thing as the future, it exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate the only thing they would ever say is now.”
― Damien Echols, Life After Death