B&W Mr 150, Seas h225 2way build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsYourUncle

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Parts acquired

1 pair B&W MR150 8 ohm drivers
1 pair Seas h225 8 ohm tweeters

Intention

2 way build crossing the tweeter at 5 or 6 kHz (probably 6) and using a 2nd order 12 dB butterworth crossover design.
I do have quite a few inductors lying around, mostly in pairs so hoping to adjust (unwind) until the desired inductance is achieved after looking at what the crossover calculator suggests and subtracting the inductance of the drivers voice coil ( is that correct?)

Question

The MR150 in the B&W dm6 is crossed at 500hz with the woofer and 6khz with the tweeter.
Would that crossover point have been due to A. driver limitation B. To help it handle the 300w +Rms power C. Because it has a crappy curve below that?
I don't intend to push more than say 100w rms into this speaker.
Would going down to about 120hz damage this speaker? Does it need to have a lf limit?

I don't know too much about this and can't seem to find the specs for the driver anywhere online or DIY projects using these.
I hope that what I am asking is clear and that I'm atleast, sort of, on the right track.
Ps, I do have a pair 0f B&W dm5 crossovers, would I be able to do a plug and play? As I see both dm5 and dm6 use the same tw20 tweeter ( I'll be using Seas h225)

Latest posts