Author Topic: Substandard  (Read 524 times)

Offline jvr

Substandard
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:29:48 PM »
My sub has been giving me great joy and great sadness recently.. It started a while back when it wouldn't really go into standby mode so when I don't play anything, even if I switch off the AVR, it would produce the odd clipping sound. I mitigated that by switching it off manually. But now I have started to realise that it does not remain at the same level from switch-off to switch-on (the next day), which is obviously very frustrating as I have to fine-tune it constantly. I have done that by ear..because I don't want to set up the mic and all that every time..and in the process I have stumbled upon some truly fantastic results, but it comes at a price of constantly tweaking and constantly being exposed to some really bad audio in-between.

As a side note..George Michael's "Father Figure" (The Best Of..) has a pretty reliable bass note, so too most songs from Paul Simon's "Graceland", while the opening two tracks of Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" (in DTS surround) always come in handy. On the other hand John Mayer's "I don't trust myself" (from his "Where The Light is" BD) is depressingly difficult, read impossible, to tune by ear.

Any idea's..re the sub?
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

Re: Substandard
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »
I have since checked my settings electronically and the sub setting was auto-adjusted to -2db (from zero, where I had it). It seems easier to fine-tune the sub with this setting and I was able to hit a really wow result without much drama. But when I eventually played back a BD with a a rather demanding soundtrack, it started to deteriorate and to fall apart again after about 45 minutes into the movie. Something seems to shake the ol' sub out of its groove so it is probably better to have it checked out and repaired/replaced...
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
Well, this is a bit after the fact..that I finally sorted out my problem. At the end it turned out to be a power plug, the female kettle type that was hanging a bit loose. Something that I noticed but not really thought could have caused the particular symptoms.. So it was kind of a desperate last attempt to get a tight fitting plug and it solved everything (after a few further fine adjustments). I am glued to my set-up again..and a very happy chap.
Lend me your ears

Offline naughty

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:49 AM »
glad you finally figured out what it was  :thumbs: .... it is really irritating having something seemingly going wrong and not knowing what it is  :walled:

Offline johan.pretorius

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
glad you finally figured out what it was  :thumbs: .... it is really irritating having something seemingly going wrong and not knowing what it is  :walled:

It was quite a monologue  :)
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline jvr

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
^ You took the words right out of my mouth ;)
Lend me your ears

Offline Katji

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:02:53 PM »
Those things seem to be more of a problem than what we put on the other end.